Today's the last day of our NYC Holiday Market. So come see us! »
🔕 🔔

Garden risotto recipes? Maybe with lox?

I woke up this morning with a strong urge to eat risotto. 'Though I don't know what kind I want. Seeking inspiration and suggestions.

The things ready in my garden are peas, chard, carrots, garlic, shallots, fingerling potatoes, and all manner of herbs... in the freezer there is lox (or maybe it's just a chunk of cold-smoke salmon - is it only lox when it's sliced?) and the cupboard there are onions and risotto rice. Also, butter, olive oil, stock cubes (don't have any fresh stock in the house, though I guess I could make something from the onions if I start soon) and a nice goat cheese that melts well and has a moderate flavour.

There must be some way to turn this into risotto, right?

Any thoughts what would go best together?

How about the method? I worry if I put the lox in too soon, the texture will be wrong, but if I put it in too late, the flavour won't permeate the dish. How should I cut the lox? Right now it's just a big chunk of cold smoked salmon. Thin slice like store lox or chunks like lardons?

mmm, lardons... maybe there should be bacon?

Anyway, please help inspire and give me some focus.

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Also, how much dry rice per person - as a side dish. Something to go well with roast leg of lamb. 1/3 cup rice per person?

F3fdbabe d72e 44f9 919d eecf03b7e10e  liza skitchenlogo

It's about a 1/4 cup per person for a side dish or 1/3 for a main. To go with lamb... let me think about that a bit.

Something about smoked salmon in risotto doesn't sound appetizing to me, despite how popular it is. However, I was looking at this recipe the other day and was considering it - http://www.sbs.com.au/food.... Lardons sounds very nice...

trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

I'm not sold on the lox yet either. It's frozen so I can save it for something later. I have a lot of lovely home smoked bacon... mmmm... bacon...
The recipe looks good. I need to get lemons (or even lemon juice) in the house, but the price has been so high lately. I wonder what they mean by preserved lemons. Are they just dry ones, or ones that are packed in salt, or pickled?

Yes, the price of lemons (and produce in general) has been particularly high due to drought and severe weather. Preserved lemon is a condiment that's used in Indian and North African cuisine. Basically, they are lemons aged with salt in the refrigerator (http://www.simplyrecipes...). You can purchase them at most grocery stores as well.

trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Those lemons look yummy, thanks for the link. So I can use them to substitute fresh lemons in most dishes? I think I've seen something like that in the mediterranean grocery shop.

Yes, you can use them in almost everything you'd use lemons for. Here are some good ideas: http://www.huffingtonpost...