is there anything equally tender yet not as fatty as pork belly?

asked by @janbaby101 over 4 years ago

The tenderloin is, provided that you don't overcook it.

The tenderloin may be tender, but it does not have the same consistency in any way as pork belly. There is virtually NO fat on the tenderloin.

I wouldn't consider it in any way the same.

Jan Weber

Pork cheeks? You have to slow cook them for at least 2 hours usually but once they start to break down they'll be exceedingly tender.

I think on another thread, I noticed you are going to braise this cut of pork. Definitely don't use tenderloin. Pork shoulder is good...carnitas is a super fun dish that begins with a slow braise and then shredded and crisped at the end. A lot of the fat is rendered. Nothing can replace a luscious pork belly, but shoulder is good too.

bigpan

Short ribs - but what makes all these things so yummy is the fat !
Slow roasted pork belly is a natural to pair with corn.