🔕 🔔

Gifted a ham bone.. What would you do with it?

I was given the bone, which still has lots of meat on it, from a recent family jam. I sliced off big chunks of the meat, and now it's all sitting in my freezer. I usually flavor a soup with it (potatoe kale or yellow split pea). What would you do with it?

asked by Stephanie over 3 years ago

Make a ham stock and then use in soups, stews, gravies, and sauces.
http://www.blogher.com...

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Toss it into a batch of pea soup (made from scratch of course). The soup will take about 4-6 hours of simmering. Take the bone out and scrape any meat that not already not fallen off in the soup.
Buy a nice fresh crusty bread and enjoy.
(or freeze since soup is not really a summertime food)

Split Pea Soup!

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

I know you mentioned you normally use it for pea soup, but if you want to try something slightly different, give Cuban black bean soup a try: http://www.thekitchn.com...

Make beans, for rice and beans.

Fca4e46d 262a 416c 8ce5 316470249de2  565101 1406091363 1702312332 n

I froze the braising liquid from Momofuku's ham terrine once and used cubes of it to flavor sauces, soups, etc. It had such a great flavor and seems it would be easy to make using the bones and bits of meat. Throw in some cinnamon, star anise, garlic and bay leaf.

Love this idea too!

Oh thanks everyone! I think I'll try to cut it (its big!!! Over a food long ;) and then use half soon for that black bean recipe, Meaghan and then maybe a little late a slick long greens sauté, like you suggested, Exbruxelles!
Keep the ideas rolling though!