Gifted a ham bone.. What would you do with it?

I was given the bone, which still has lots of meat on it, from a recent family jam. I sliced off big chunks of the meat, and now it's all sitting in my freezer. I usually flavor a soup with it (potatoe kale or yellow split pea). What would you do with it?

asked by Stephanie about 4 years ago

Make a ham stock and then use in soups, stews, gravies, and sauces.
http://www.blogher.com...

bigpan

Toss it into a batch of pea soup (made from scratch of course). The soup will take about 4-6 hours of simmering. Take the bone out and scrape any meat that not already not fallen off in the soup.
Buy a nice fresh crusty bread and enjoy.
(or freeze since soup is not really a summertime food)

Split Pea Soup!

Meaghan F

I know you mentioned you normally use it for pea soup, but if you want to try something slightly different, give Cuban black bean soup a try: http://www.thekitchn.com...

Make beans, for rice and beans.

savorthis

I froze the braising liquid from Momofuku's ham terrine once and used cubes of it to flavor sauces, soups, etc. It had such a great flavor and seems it would be easy to make using the bones and bits of meat. Throw in some cinnamon, star anise, garlic and bay leaf.

Stephanie

Love this idea too!

Stephanie

Oh thanks everyone! I think I'll try to cut it (its big!!! Over a food long ;) and then use half soon for that black bean recipe, Meaghan and then maybe a little late a slick long greens sauté, like you suggested, Exbruxelles!
Keep the ideas rolling though!