🔕 🔔

Can you freeze almond milk?

Caught a sale at Whole Foods and ended up with 2 half gallons of unsweetened almond milk for $4. Great for smoothies, but even a smoothie a day will take a while to get through a 1/2 gallon. Can I freeze one for later?

asked by Burnt Offerings about 6 years ago

62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

I have found that smoothies freeze okay, but I don't really like how almond milk freezes as I find it gets a bit too watery and separates a bit. I'd recommend making your smoothies (individually, otherwise you'll be stuck with one massive smoothie) and defrosting for maybe an hour (depending on how icy you like them) before consuming. Enjoy!

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

You could also use it for pancakes or soup...

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Freeze it in ice cube trays and then you can blend it into smoothies instead of ice, or thaw it out for baking. This way, the fat ends up distributed more evenly instead of separating as it freezes. I've found that 4 ice cubes thaw out to about 1/4 cup. I do this for coconut milk too and it works great.

What a great suggestion, syronai!

B8c85549 23af 4014 8234 ae1da9266ce9  burnt offering

Syronai - that is an awesome suggestion! I'll try that. I'm also going to try making chai tea with it instead of regular milk, and Droplet - yes, I think there are some pumpkin pancakes with almond milk in our near future!

http://www.gourmet.com...