🔕 🔔

What is best to serve with gumbo? (the gumbo is chicken and smoked sausage)

asked by @andy_firth over 3 years ago

Assuming you will have some rice with gumbo. We also frequently serve potato salad that you can put a dollop of in the gumbo or eat it on the side. French bread. A salad works fine with it too.

5b7755f4 f84e 4738 be55 06b56e9c2553  dsc 0008 002
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Green salad with cucs and tomatoes! Definitely French bread. File powder and hot sauce on the side. Cold beer! I could eat gumbo every day- aah!!

Rice, salad, and a bread pudding with bourbon sauce for dessert.

I like stickier rice scooped in the middle of a bowl if gumbo. the starch improves the consistency, IMO. my son isn't a big fan if the gelatinous consistency that okra lends. so I have made a habit of roasting the okra(so much better than fried and healthier to boot) and using a significant amount to scatter on top of the bowl. and it makes a very pretty and modern presentation! purists will not agree

5e9c0b8f c9a0 4744 abd2 1def5bbeaeca  1380644 562697560462865 988341931 n

I agree with Patti on the potato salad. Many true Cajuns actually put potato salad in their bowl of gumbo.

I always serve rice, of course, Creole Potato Salad and a big green salad.