What is best to serve with gumbo? (the gumbo is chicken and smoked sausage)

asked by @andy_firth over 4 years ago

Patti in Mississippi

Assuming you will have some rice with gumbo. We also frequently serve potato salad that you can put a dollop of in the gumbo or eat it on the side. French bread. A salad works fine with it too.

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Green salad with cucs and tomatoes! Definitely French bread. File powder and hot sauce on the side. Cold beer! I could eat gumbo every day- aah!!

Rice, salad, and a bread pudding with bourbon sauce for dessert.

Debra

I like stickier rice scooped in the middle of a bowl if gumbo. the starch improves the consistency, IMO. my son isn't a big fan if the gelatinous consistency that okra lends. so I have made a habit of roasting the okra(so much better than fried and healthier to boot) and using a significant amount to scatter on top of the bowl. and it makes a very pretty and modern presentation! purists will not agree

Chef Lisa

I agree with Patti on the potato salad. Many true Cajuns actually put potato salad in their bowl of gumbo.

I always serve rice, of course, Creole Potato Salad and a big green salad.