what to do with mushy cantaloupe?

I have an overripe but not spoiled cantaloupe and it's tough to eat straight and wondering what I can do with it to enjoy it?

boulangere July 27, 2014

It sounds like it would be perfect to put in a morning smoothie along with some yogurt and a little lime juice. Alternatively, purée it with some honey, fruit juice or sparkling mineral water, and freeze it into popsicles to cool you on a hot afternoon.

Leslie Kaufman
Leslie Kaufman July 27, 2014

Yum, was thinking of a smoothie! Thanks!

Leslie Kaufman
Leslie Kaufman July 27, 2014

boulangere July 27, 2014

Leslie, you might also think about using it in combination with some berries to create something for the current contest. Perhaps a watermelon sorbet with blackberries?

boulangere July 27, 2014

Sorry, Leslie. I just cut myself a wedge of watermelon. I meant cantaloupe, of course. I guess it's a good thing I hadn't just cut a wedge of bleu cheese.

Susan W July 27, 2014

A cantaloupe granita would be fun too. I recently made one with an over ripe honeydew melon. It was so easy and refreshing on a hot evening. It's just melon, sugar and lime juice blended up. Pour into a flat pan and put it in the freezer until semi solid. Scrape with a fork and devour. :0)

PazzoNico
PazzoNico July 27, 2014

Some savory ideas:

Gazpacho or chilled soup would be good, too. Maybe with some lime and coconut water/milk.

Or some kind of chutney or savory jam. Cardamom, star anise, mustard seed, etc....or mostarda!

OR, puree and turn it into a vinaigrette to serve with fish. Basil or tarragon would be good.

PazzoNico
PazzoNico July 27, 2014

Just another thought; I've used cantaloupe as a filling for tortellini (with mascarpone and pecorino), tossed it in walnut brown butter, and garnished with prosciutto. Really good, but maybe a little more work than you're planning on doing...?

Leslie Kaufman
Leslie Kaufman July 27, 2014

No, I love to cook and this sounds scrumptious!

Horto
Horto July 27, 2014

my dog loves it!

ChezHenry
ChezHenry July 27, 2014

Jam. Canteloupe Jam is a specialty in the South of France, actually they use their fanastic charenteis variety. Check out the Blue Chair Jam Cookbook for a perfect recipe.

Jan Weber
Jan Weber July 28, 2014

Charentais canteloupes stand virtually alone in the world of melons, maybe only crenshaw or piel de sapo melons are on par with their flavor/texture.

Jan Weber
Jan Weber July 28, 2014

If you have an ice cream maker - you could easily make cantaloupe sorbet out of them. Just make sure to pass it all through a strainer of some sort.

HalfPint July 28, 2014

In the current heatwave in my area, agua fresca would be my recommendation.
http://www.chow.com/recipes...

raz
raz July 28, 2014

Put it in a blender and add sugar & ice It makes a great smoothie You can also add a drizzle of rose water #yum

ChefJune July 30, 2014

Cantaloupe soup with mint sounds refreshing.

jamcook
jamcook August 2, 2014

These are all delicious ideas for a good tasting ripe melon, but if it is mushy, and the taste is "tough to eat " and it is really overripe ; you might be better off starting over with a fresh Melon. At the very least just try a simple smoothy ,and if it still doesn't taste right , you haven't spent an afternoon trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.