🔕 🔔

I pickled jalapeños and put one or two carrots lives and a bunch of garlic. The garlic is turning blue!! Any ideas?!

asked by Tasha over 3 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

That's kinda cool! My guess is that you used black olives and the color is leaching out into the pickling liquid. Pretend you did it on purpose and think up a good name for it, and own it! It'll still taste good!

Blue/Green garlic is normal. I was like WTH the first time it happend to me. :)
http://www.seriouseats...

Do you mean carrot "leaves" - the green tops of fresh carrots? Is the water turning blue, or just the garlic cloves?

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Sometimes garlic turns blue in the presence of acid: chemical reaction. It is still edible.

Garlic contains pigments that turn green, purple or blue when in contact with acid. I think there are tricks you can try to combat it, but I think it looks cool.