Does anyone have a tomatillo recipe that isn't a salsa or soup? Thanks in advance :)

Could they be fried up in a cast-iron skillet like fried green tomatoes?

boulangere April 24, 2011

Try frying them as you would green tomatoes (flour, egg, cornmeal), then top with an interesting aioli.

boulangere April 24, 2011

I read and type way too fast. Just now saw the second half of your question.

SKK April 24, 2011

We love raw tomatillos. And I slice them and put them in a dehydrator with any seasoning that appeals and they make wonderful snacks.

duclosbe1
duclosbe1 April 24, 2011

I've never done anything with tomatillos, but Food Network Magazine had a recipe for Bloody Marys made with tomatillos in this month's issue. Looks interesting...

1 lb. tomatillos
1/2 of a cucumber, chopped
6 oz. vodka
2 tablespoons horseradish
dash of Worcestershire sauce
dash of green hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
kosher salt

Puree all ingredients in a blender and serve over ice.

lovesitc
lovesitc April 24, 2011

That's interesting, Forester_lady. Almost like a gazpacho recipe.

boulangere April 24, 2011

Looks very interesting!

pierino April 24, 2011

Tomatillos are not a tomato kissin cousin, closer to gooseberry. But you can make a mighty fine enchilada sauce with them. Don't need to cook them, just puree them in a blender with perhaps some Anaheim or Hatch peppers tossed into the mix.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

I just made a great tomatillo sauce last night (adapted from Rich Bayliss' Shrimp in Green Almond sauce): 1/2 white onion sauteed with 1 clove garlic and 2 serrano chiles. Put in blender. Add 6 coursely chopped tomatillos, 1 cup blanched toasted almonds, 1 cup cilantro, 1/2 cup Italian parsely, 8 radish leaves, 1 cup chicken stock. Blend, then add a bit of oil to saucepan and cook on medium to medium high heat while stirring for about 10 minutes. Add 2 more cups chicken stock and simmer for another 20 minutes or so (until good sauce consistency). Serve with sauteed or grilled shrimp, roasted chicken or pork or works well with veggies and rice as well. The sauce has a lovely mildly acidic and slightly piquant taste. (I removed most of the inside membranes and seeds from the chilies but if you wanted more heat, you could leave more seeds and membrane in. This sauce tastes great and can be used in many ways.

pauljoseph
pauljoseph April 25, 2011

Try this TOMATO FRY http://www.food52.com/recipes...

anntruelove
anntruelove April 25, 2011

I grew tomatillos in my garden last year and had a bumper crop. I pickled them along with slices of jalepenos and they were fantastic.

pauljoseph
pauljoseph April 25, 2011

Sorry I thought its Tomato I don't know what is tomatillo

lovesitc
lovesitc April 25, 2011

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful suggestions. I fried 'em up, green tomato style, and they were fantastic!!

latoscana
latoscana April 25, 2011

You can use them for a salsa verde to pour on enchiladas, chile rellenos, or any dish where you might otherwise use a red sauce. It imparts a tangy and irresistible flavor.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric April 26, 2011

Chilaquiles. Roast them in the oven with cloves of garlic, poblano peppers and onion. Transfer all to a blender with some veggie stock. Blend!

Take some stale tortillas or tortilla chips- flour or corn both work--and cut roughly into strips. Heat some oil in a skillet and toast the tortilla pieces. Add the sauce and kind of scramble them around together.

Transfer to a plate and top with crema, cheese, beans or whatever works for you.

This is my favorite hangover breakfast (besides spicy Korean tofu custard soup).

lovesitc
lovesitc April 26, 2011

Oh Anitalectric!! That sounds incredible! I'll be making this for sure!! Thanks :)

G Murphy
G Murphy May 24, 2012

From People magazine. Made this last niight and it is 5 star!

Ingrid Hoffman's Tangy Tomatillo Shrimp

Ingredients:

3 tbsp olive oil
1 lb (about 3 to 4) fesh poblano chiles, seeded and coarsely chopped(or several jalapeños seeded)
6 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced, divided in two parts
1 lb tomatillos (about 6), husked, rinsed, and quartered
1 1/2 tsp salt, plus extra for the shrimp
2 lbs large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
freshly ground pepper
2 cups fresh cilantro leaves

Directions:

1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chiles and 1/2 of the garlic and cook until the chiles start to soften, about 5 minutes.

2. Add the tomatillos and 1 1/2 tsp of salt, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally until the tomatillos begin to break down and release some liquid, about 10 minutes.

3. Transfer the tomatillo sauce to a blender. Puree and set aside.

4. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, a little salt and pepper, and the remaining garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the garlic become fragrant, about 2 minutes.

5. Add the tomatillo sauce and simmer until the shrimp becomes opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.

6. Serve sprinkled with cilantro.

I didn't have poblano peppers so I made this with seeded jalapeño peppers. Seeded they are not too spicy and sweeten when cooked in the butter. Excelent! Use tomatillos that are fresh with tight paper skin and firm to touch.

Raquelita
Raquelita May 24, 2012

I use them in a skillet sautee with (already-cooked) pinto beans and other summer veggies: squash, peppers, even japanese eggplant and cubed pumpkin/winter squash in the fall. A little crushed tomato helps, as does cumin, coriander and hot pepper. Eat with cornbread or corn tortillas and you can't go wrong!

aargersi May 24, 2012

I make tomatillo chutney that's super tasty - I don't write it down (sorry!) but essentially you do a standard chutney with mustard seed and sugar and vinegar and shallots and maybe some gold raisins - along those lines. I would browse chutney recipes and play around!!

Stratacat
Stratacat September 23, 2017

I made chutney. A savory thick sweet/sour relish that adds flavor to fish or pork.
10 tomatillos peeled and quartered
1 cup chopped sweet onion
1/2 poblano pepper
1 c. Super
1 c. Apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Cumin seed
Put onions, tomatillos, in blender and until coarsely chopped, and add rest of ingredients. Boil over low heat until sauce thickens. Add 2 tsp brown sugar.

Can put in crock pot to simmer all day.
Pack in jars and water bath it 20 minutes, or just refrigerate.
I canned it in 8 oz. jars.

Very good.