A question about a recipe: Yotam Ottolenghi & Sami Tamimi's Basic Hummus

97f238b6 cd1f 4d5a b498 b53e9026042c  9248254237 0089ba87ed z

I have a question about the recipe "Yotam Ottolenghi & Sami Tamimi's Basic Hummus" from Genius Recipes. Can I use canned chickpeas instead of dried? I couldn't find any dried at the store. If so, how much should I use, and should I still do any soaking?

asked by Laura about 4 years ago

msmely

In the recipe it states after cooking from dry you should end up with about 3 and 2/3 cups of cooked chickpeas. Canned chickpeas are already cooked, so this volume should translate directly.

The soaking is not necessary in this case. With dried beans the soaking step is necessary only to shorten the time spent boiling the beans.

Laura

Thank you! I saw the amount after posting this. I was mostly worried about the result since the recipe is so specific. I think I have my answer now. Thanks again!

While your hummus will be delicious with canned chickpeas, you should note that their method of cooking the dried chickpeas is quite specific, designed to make especially creamy hummus. Yours won't be quite so creamy, not quite so "genius." But canned chickpeas and beans are lifesavers when we don't have time to soak and cook.

Laura

Thanks! That's what I was mostly worried about. I've never made hummus before and this is such a highly touted recipe that I wanted to make it just right. So the canned ones won't make a difference in flavor, but might impact texture? Stocking up on dried beans for the next time!

Yes, it's mostly the texture. There are some subtleties of taste of course, but it's the texture that makes their recipe iconic. They call it "supersmooth."

CarlaCooks

I actually made this with canned chickpeas the other day, and it still turned out really tasty. I used 1 can of drained and rinsed chickpeas, added 2 cloves of garlic, salt, juice from 1/2 lemon, and 1/2 cup tahini. I added just enough cold water to get a creamy texture. Enjoy!

ATG117

It will taste good, but not genius. If you want the full affect of the recipe, use the fresh chickpeas.