Making a pie crust gluten free?

I want to make Em-i-lis's coconut cream pie for a coworker tomorrow. I am new to gluten free cooking. Can I substitute a gluten free flour - like Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour for the all purpose flour? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Liza's Kitchen NYC
Liza's Kitchen NYC August 13, 2014

Hi Megan,
Gluten free crust can be tough, but it's definitely doable. If you want to take a shortcut, Bob's Red Mill makes a mix that isn't bad. When I don't use the mix, I'll combine 1 1/4 cups white or brown rice flour, 1/2 cup sweet rice flour, and 1/2 cup tapioca starch, 2 TB sugar, 1 tsp xantham gum, 1 cup butter, and 4-6 TB ice water and use the regular pie crust directions. You might be able to just use the GF flour blend plus xantham gum, but I'm not sure how well it'll turn out.

vivanat
vivanat August 13, 2014

For me, nothing has worked better in GF pie crust than Cup 4 Cup. It's pretty reliable and rolls out well in standard pie crust recipes. In my area, Whole Foods and Williams Sonoma both carry it.

meganvt01
meganvt01 August 14, 2014

Just an update for future readers - I went with Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pie Crust Mix. The directions said it only need 6-8 tablespoons of ice water - for mine it needed twice that. I have no idea why. But it turned out beautifully with the coconut cream pie.