🔕 🔔

Yes! You can substitute a gf flour mix for this. One thing to be aware of, though, is that Bob's Red Mill GF flour mix has bean flour--so the stuff you make with it will have a bean taste. I recommend a more neutral mix if you have time/desire to make one--one that doesn't contain bean flour. I have a mix on my site, as do other gf bakers. If you want to check out my mix, the link is: http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.... The Gluten-Free Girl has a mix, too. So does Carol of Simple Gluten-Free, and Jules of Jules Gluten-Free.

I hope this is helpful. I am happy to help more if you need it. E-mail me with more questions!

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

What about rice flour? What else is in the mix? The rice flour would be a thin coating though - not like your gorgeous cutlet above.

Ec89bac4 d90d 46fb a336 04afd14d1e80  img 1958

My husband is gf and I've experimented with a variety of different things to replace flour when pan-frying, including gf flour (King Arthur brand is a blend of rice flours, potato and tapioca starch - no bean aftertaste), cornstarch, cornmeal, and crushed plain rice cakes. Each produces a slightly different result - cornstarch on the delicate end of the spectrum and cornmeal on the other end. Lately, I've also been grating Rudy's gluten free bread to replace bread crumbs- I made Rhonda's pangritata using them last night and it was delicious.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Rudi's GF bread also works as a coating, when it's processed into bread crumbs:
http://www.rudisglutenfree... (Mix it with a little egg and some spices and you're good to go.)

I freeze the crusts when I'm done with the loaf and when I have a bunch, I run them all through my food processor. Instant crumbs! They can also be re-frozen and kept for months when you're using just a little at a time.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I've used the Bob's Red Mill brown rice flour to coat fish fillets. They came out nice and crispy.

34b35e7d 9f0b 412e bbb2 00e0498f86d5  2016 10 06 19 40 38

Thanks so much, everyone! I'm going to post a link to here in response to my commenter. Really, really appreciate the advice - Go Team Foodpickle!

C41fce42 c313 4006 9e7d cceb3d551789  shauna headshot
glutenfreegirl

Shauna James Ahern is cooking up a good life, gluten-free. Her most recent book, Gluten-free Girl and the Chef was named one of the best Cookbooks of 2010 by the New York Times.

I'm later to this conversation than I hoped to be, but everyone has given you great advice! I concur about the Bob's Red Mill AP mix -- the bean flour taste is pretty assertive. (Their biscuit and baking mix does not have it, however, so it's a good choice.)

My favorite combination for fried chicken or fried fish is mostly sweet rice flour with a touch of sorghum flour. Sweet rice flour (or mochiko) is super starchy and thus sticks to everything well. It also makes a wonderfully light and crunchy batter. Think tempura.

We add the sorghum for a bit more bite. Sometimes using only sweet rice flour makes the final result too much like tempura. If that's not the texture you're seeking, then a touch of sorghum -- which has a similar texture to whole wheat pastry flour -- helps to give it a bit more heft.

Really, though, you can't go too wrong. For dredging, you just need a flour. The gluten doesn't actually matter here.