A question about a recipe: Marian Burros' Plum Torte

4d318b20 8a89 4c43 8b20 6555d67b0237  2013 1001 cooking for clara plum torte 038

I have a question about the recipe "Marian Burros' Plum Torte" from Merrill Stubbs. The recipe says serve immediately…is this still good the 2nd day or does is dry out? I want to serve it tonight for my husband and I and maybe try to use it for a small dinner party tomorrow too… Thank you!

asked by VickyD about 2 years ago
2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

The recipe says: Or, you can double-wrap the torte in foil, put it in a sealed plastic bag and freeze (for up to one year!). Note: to serve a torte that has been frozen, defrost it completely and then reheat it for 5 to 10 minutes in a 300-degree oven.
If you wanted to give a piece to the husband, wrap well and freeze the rest overnight, defrost the next day and heat in the oven. All that said it may be fine to wrap really really well and it may be alright for your dinner party the next day, but after reading the recipe it seems a little bit questionable. I would consider just making it for your dinner party and serve the hubby a different dessert.

I have made this torte many many times. It keeps for 2-3 days, well wrapped, on the counter. And truth be told, I think it tastes better as it ages. Just keep it wrapped and it will not dry out. It is my favorite cake to make and works with other fruits too.

Forgot to add, that if you are serving this tomorrow there is really no need to freeze it. Just wrap up in foil and leave it on your counter, if the room is not too warm.