Ideas for a ham hock?

Looking for ideas for using a ham hock that's not soup? Any pasta sauces or casseroles that use a ham hock? Thanks!

asked by JuliaB almost 4 years ago

Make a ham stock which you can then use in stews, soups, and sauces. I love black bean soup made with a ham hock.

Or you can use the ham hock to make Red Beans and Rice,
https://food52.com/recipes...

PazzoNico

Ham hock risotto would be interesting. Use the hock to make a quick stock with some aromatics (about 2 hours), pull the meat off the bone, crisp up in a pan and add to the finished risotto with some bitter greens (escarole?)...maybe some tart apples or cherries...

Ok, I'm weird.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

no you are not... it's a lovely idea. i would make it with peas to add some freshness. or go really earthy with collards and swiss chard. i think i am going to try it this weekend

This sounds fabulous! Great idea.

Angela Davis

Collard greens or a big pot of navy beans.

Julie Grimes

Anyone tried home-smoked hocks? Game changers!

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

I bought some hocks this week for just that plan. Chickened out and tossed them in the freezer, but I figure that the next time I make bacon, I can do the hocks the same way.

Oh my goodness. Last weekend at Vision Cellars' Greens Cookoff, Chef Jeff Mall of Zin Restaurant in Healdsburg, CA made a cassoulet with black eyes peas, collards, ham hocks and all manner of luscious porky charcuterie. One of the best things I've eaten in a long time.