Ideas for a ham hock?

Looking for ideas for using a ham hock that's not soup? Any pasta sauces or casseroles that use a ham hock? Thanks!

• Posted by: JuliaB
  • August 19, 2014

Voted the Best Reply!

Uncle Jess
Uncle Jess August 19, 2014

Throw it in a pot of beans. Yumm! or...
It would be sacrilege, but you could make a bolognese with ham hock instead of pancetta...

QueenSashy August 19, 2014

Beans and ham hock stews are my favorite too... In the summer I like to throw in one or two fresh peppers, one or two carrots and a fresh bay leaf. In the winter dry chillies...

HalfPint August 19, 2014

Make a ham stock which you can then use in stews, soups, and sauces. I love black bean soup made with a ham hock.

Or you can use the ham hock to make Red Beans and Rice,
https://food52.com/recipes...

PazzoNico
PazzoNico August 20, 2014

Ham hock risotto would be interesting. Use the hock to make a quick stock with some aromatics (about 2 hours), pull the meat off the bone, crisp up in a pan and add to the finished risotto with some bitter greens (escarole?)...maybe some tart apples or cherries...

Ok, I'm weird.

QueenSashy August 20, 2014

no you are not... it's a lovely idea. i would make it with peas to add some freshness. or go really earthy with collards and swiss chard. i think i am going to try it this weekend

Susan W August 20, 2014

This sounds fabulous! Great idea.

Angela Davis
Angela Davis August 20, 2014

Collard greens or a big pot of navy beans.

Julie Grimes
Julie Grimes August 25, 2014

Anyone tried home-smoked hocks? Game changers!

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese August 26, 2014

I bought some hocks this week for just that plan. Chickened out and tossed them in the freezer, but I figure that the next time I make bacon, I can do the hocks the same way.

ChefJune August 26, 2014

Oh my goodness. Last weekend at Vision Cellars' Greens Cookoff, Chef Jeff Mall of Zin Restaurant in Healdsburg, CA made a cassoulet with black eyes peas, collards, ham hocks and all manner of luscious porky charcuterie. One of the best things I've eaten in a long time.