Ham drippings

I baked a ham and saved the pan drippings. I've chilled it and separated the fat from the rest of it, what is now a gelatinous, salty goo. This seems like it should be good for something. I used a little of it in place of salt in a soup recipe that used the broth I made from the ham bone, that seemed to work fine. But the gelatinous goo is way too salty to do too much with. Anyone have any other ideas for it?

• Posted by: Barb
  • November 17, 2014

Marcmarc
Marcmarc November 17, 2014

Mix it with chicken broth and make gravy out of it. Make biscuits.

Maedl November 17, 2014

Make split pea, navy bean, or lentil soup and add the ham drippings to the broth--but wait to add salt until after you add the drippings. If it was a good-quality ham, I’d save the fat, too, and use it to fry the onions and garlic that go into the soup.

Barb
Barb November 17, 2014

I did save the fat, I figured i could use that for all manner of things. Thanks for the idea

Susan W November 17, 2014

You can make red eye gravy! I think you need the fat, so hopefully you didn't toss it. It involves coffee. Hopefully Sam1148 will chime in. Get ready to make some biscuits too. :)

Barb
Barb November 17, 2014

Great idea -- I've never even had red eye gravy so I'm definitely going to try try this.

ChezHenry
ChezHenry November 17, 2014

Toss it with some day old cubed bread, baked in a 475 degree oven for 8-12 minutes for some excellent croutons.

Barb
Barb November 17, 2014

I never in a million years would have thought of croutons. I think I'll try this and float them in the white bean soup I made with the ham stock.