What to do with a ham bone?

I have a ham bone left over from winter festivities and was wondering if anyone has ideas for a great way to use it. I'm not a huge fan of pea soup, so alternatives are particularly welcome. It's the remnants of a salt-cured Virginia ham, so it packs a lot of salty flavor. Thanks!

asked by lazychef over 6 years ago

You could use it for any type of bean or lentil soup. It's going to enhance whatever you do. Or you could cook it with the beans or lentils and make a salad.

Or you could use it to make a stock. And here is a recipe for a bean soup http://www.food52.com/recipes...

You could add it to stock like the suggestions above or make collard greens, kale, swiss chard or the above suggestions to have a meaty undertone. Strain what's left you have broth. Freeze the ham bone for next stock.

Mlc1977

Here is my mom and great grandmother split pea recipe, its so simple and good. http://cookbetterthan.wordpress...

passifloraedulis

We love to make Cantonese-style congee with leftover ham bones. Boil with a lot of water and rice. Serve congee with lean ground pork + thousand year old egg or fish filets or shrimp or squid, scallions, peanuts, Chinese fried dough, white pepper and salt to taste.

Yeah, send it to me. But beans or greens would be the way to go. And save that pot likker.

Black bean soup! I flavor the beans with the normal black bean soup spices. (simmer it all with the ham bone).
But to serve I don't mush them all up to paste. I make a seasoned chicken broth in another pot. To serve I put in a mound of rice, the black beans and pour the hot brother over them. Garnishing with matchstick cut ham. Each component stands out that way.

babycakes16

Put it in any soup you want! I like to put mine in a a spring chicken soup. It is delicious and easy.