🔕 🔔

Is a mushroom dashi and different than a typical dashi?

A recipe for clam chowder calls for dashi and all I can find is a mushroom dashi

asked by Amanda about 3 years ago

First...I'd love to have that recipe. Do you have a link? :)

It depends on the ingredients. Does it contain bonito flakes and kelp? If it's straight mushroom dashi (usually shiitake) it is usually used with another seafood dashi. You could use bottled clam juice and the mushroom dashi.

I was just coming back to say with just a couple of ingredients, you can make your own dashi. Lindsay-Jean linked an easy one. Even my Albertsons carries kombu these days.

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

And for future reference, it's easy to make your own dashi! https://food52.com/blog...

A Dashi is a style of Japanese stock or broth. Much like chicken stock, fish stock, beef stock, etc. the stock can be altered by the inclusion of a key ingredient. So your mushroom dashi will be heavy on the mushroom taste-not sure it will benefit your chowdah!
Momofuku's David Chan makes "Bacon Dashi". It's a mother stock at his restaurants, and to make a batch, he uses a pound of Benton's Bacon! For a stock!
I'd grab a basic recipe and make my own Dashi, it's simple to make and freezes well.