🔕 🔔

Where can I find golden chanterelle mushrooms?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 6 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

If they're not in the produce area, you may be able to find them dried, near the spice section of most stores. Otherwise, I'd try your local farmers market.

The season is over for fresh chanterelles. Look for them again in the autumn months.Dried is your best hope.

Pierino, aren't there imported chanterelles in some stores?

Amanda, if there are I haven't seen them. The season arrived late this year and lasted longer; I was still buying chantarelles in April but I haven't found any recently...at least from reputable merchants. I wouldn't take a chance on Asian chantarelles anymore than I would on Chinese truffles.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

If you happen to live in the northeast and are foraging rather than shopping, golden chantarelles are found in the summer more than the fall. I know of one patch close to Newfound Lake in New Hampshire--but I'd be put to death if I gave you the specifics. Maybe it's better to wait for the fall crop from the west coast.

Yes, in Fort Worth we have chanterelles right now at Central Market. Get to ready to pay however, they are $39.99 a pound in the produce section. I was going to make Heidi Swanson's Chanterelle Tacos until I saw the price!

B8c85549 23af 4014 8234 ae1da9266ce9  burnt offering

When I was living in Vienna, Austria, you could buy them by the bucketful in the markets in September and October for just a few dollars a pound. I miss that. So apricotty and nutty tasting!