🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Peach Tart

1306fcea fb6d 45ec 8d00 a1af7da8fd0c  2011 0822 peach tart james ransom 4118

I have a question about the recipe "Peach Tart" from Amanda Hesser. My sugar topping became very runny after cooling and sitting a couple hours.The peaches weren't super juicy, just nicely ripe and slightly firm. It is humid here today. How to avoid this next time add more flour? Serve sooner? Please help! Thanks!

asked by Nancy about 3 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

I think your idea to add a bit more flour is a good one. I'd start with 1 tablespoon.

F3fdbabe d72e 44f9 919d eecf03b7e10e  liza skitchenlogo

Yes, that sounds like a good idea - or you could add a drop of cornstarch also. I feel like it tends to work better than flour.

191e8978 8695 42e0 9a7a 5d1a1064b95f  photo 4

You could also try stirring a bit of sugar into the sliced peaches and letting them sit for a few minutes to draw some of the juice out, and leave the juice behind when you place the slices on the tart.

Fa4b9d71 1d9b 4c04 98b9 0b1015d07403  fb avatar

Since I love this recipe and will be making it a ton until the peaches disappear, I have the chance to experiment with all these great ideas. Thanks so much.

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

When I make peach pies or tarts, I always mix the sugar with the peaches and let them macerate at least an hour. Then I drain off the juice and reduce it in a saucepan until it's a bit thick. Let it cool a bit, then return to the peach mixture. You'll still get more juice from the peaches in the cooking process, but less than you would have otherwise.