A question about a recipe: Peach Tart

1306fcea fb6d 45ec 8d00 a1af7da8fd0c  2011 0822 peach tart james ransom 4118

I have a question about the recipe "Peach Tart" from Amanda Hesser. My sugar topping became very runny after cooling and sitting a couple hours.The peaches weren't super juicy, just nicely ripe and slightly firm. It is humid here today. How to avoid this next time add more flour? Serve sooner? Please help! Thanks!

asked by Nancy about 4 years ago

I think your idea to add a bit more flour is a good one. I'd start with 1 tablespoon.

Liza's Kitchen NYC

Yes, that sounds like a good idea - or you could add a drop of cornstarch also. I feel like it tends to work better than flour.

Julie

You could also try stirring a bit of sugar into the sliced peaches and letting them sit for a few minutes to draw some of the juice out, and leave the juice behind when you place the slices on the tart.

Since I love this recipe and will be making it a ton until the peaches disappear, I have the chance to experiment with all these great ideas. Thanks so much.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

When I make peach pies or tarts, I always mix the sugar with the peaches and let them macerate at least an hour. Then I drain off the juice and reduce it in a saucepan until it's a bit thick. Let it cool a bit, then return to the peach mixture. You'll still get more juice from the peaches in the cooking process, but less than you would have otherwise.