🔕 🔔

Recent diagnosis.

I was recently diagnosed with high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Does anyone have great cookbooks or websites for restrictive diets?

asked by kimhw about 3 years ago

Chris Kresser is a wealth of information. He's very clinical, but his explanations are great for everyone. It's not a recipe website, but he posts many recipes.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

A source of powerful information is Dr. McDougall https://www.drmcdougall...
My issue with Chris Kresser is he seems to be stuck on the Paleo diet, and tends to exclude other studies. Dr. McDougal also has a free on line class. https://www.drmcdougall... I found out about him from a good friend who had your health profile that she turned around following McDougal's courses. Another friend turned his health around by simply cutting out processed foods, eating meat once a week, and having his plate at least 1/2 full of vegetables and salads. He was also pre-diabetic and is no longer in that category. Possibly look at your new way of eating as not restrictive, but an exploration of foods that also act as medicine.
I lowered my blood pressure substantially by purchasing a book on eating raw food. The one I turn to constantly for recipes is Jennifer Cornbleet's Raw Food Made Easy http://www.amazon.com/Food...-
Edition/dp/1570672733/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Hope this helps!

Thank you all. I love to cook and still have a family to cook for. So I think SKK's friends approach is what I need to do. Nothing processed. 3/4 plate of veggies and grains and just a bit of what I make for the kids.

The China Study Cookbook. This book supports a Whole Foods Plant-Based Diet.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I have the same medical condition and quite frankly, rather than depending on one or two books I simply google "low cal - low fat" recipes based on the main protein ingredient I am using.
You can easily separate the healthy recipes from non-healthy recipes by simply reading the list of ingredients.
If the recipe calls for heavy cream, go to another page , etc.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Watch the movie Forks over Knives, and get this cookbook: http://www.amazon.com/Prevent...

It's brand new-- comes out tomorrow. It's empowering to be able to improve your health by changing your lifestyle.

Good luck!