🔕 🔔

flank steak under the broiler

I made Amanda's flank steak with brown sugar and bourbon. I initially tried broiling it as directed in the recipe--the meat got no color or char as pictured, I ended up finishing it off on the grill, but am wondering what I did wrong? Should my broiler have done the trick? The meat was close to the heating device

asked by ATG117 over 3 years ago

Hmm..I have made this a few times with great success. I cook it on my gas grill on high. Crusty and wonderful. Are you letting your broiler pre-heat? I'd say at least ten minutes.

I have a feeling that you might have gotten better results if you had seared your steak for 2 or 3 minutes on each side - oh, how I love flank steak, and this recipe! - in a skillet (do you have one of cast iron?), then finished it in an oven set to about 225 degrees for about 10 minutes. I love to grill outside, but I'm a wimp when it comes to either rain or snow, as my grill isn't in a covered area; thus, I've learned to adapt to my stovetop and oven.