If I make a pumpkin pie today, will it last in the fridge until Thursday?

I have it ready to bake and just saw a note on the can that I shouldn’t freeze it.

asked by Bougie 21 days ago

Erin Alexander

You can make pumpkin pie ahead of time and it will last up to 3 to 4 days in the fridge; just make sure to cover it loosely with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. However, it's worth noting that the longer the crust sits in the fridge the less flaky it will get. BUT, I've had pumpkin pie after a few days sitting in the fridge on more than one occasion and it's still been delicious every time. One option is to making the filling in advance and refrigerating that and baking everything together the morning of. I hope that helps and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Lori Terwilliger

It wouldn't last in my house, even if there wasn't whipped cream to go with it. Seriously, the folks at Libby's say it can last 3-4 days loosely covered in foil. So if you bake it fresh today, it should still be good to go for the great feast. It's not a great candidate for freezing because it's basically a custard pie flavored with pumpkin, and custard pies don't freeze well. When they thaw, they crack and weep, and it's just not pretty. Depending on who lives with you though, you might want to add a warning note to the top. Otherwise, like at my house- it might not be there come Thanksgiving.

I usually mix the filling ingredients in advance and store in a zipper storage bag. You can make the crust and freeze it in advance (or go for a frozen store-bought crust). Sometimes I bake it on the day before, but I find that the filling and crust separate a little, so I try to bake it the morning of Thanksgiving.