I am getting a lot of whey from my homemade yogurt,anyone know what's up? I heat nonfat organic milk to 120 for 5 minutes, no dry milk….

• Posted by: Horto
  • September 3, 2014

Horto September 3, 2014
I actually heat to 180 for 5 minutes, not 120, what was i thinking….cool to 115 add starter…all the right things

Horto September 3, 2014
I add store bought yogurt for the starter at 115 degrees.
then i put it in my yogurt cooler, which is made for this, to keep it warm overnight. So much whey, yogurt disappears, the dog enjoys the whey, though.
I'll check the article out, thanks. I used to make yogurt when in Art school, with the recipe from the Whole Earth Catalogue, without a thermometer, worked great!

Peggasus September 3, 2014
I just use regular whole milk, but my (20yo) yogurt maker says to heat the milk to 170 degrees. I heat it up in a pyrex with the temp probe in the microwave. Then I add the powdered milk. Cool to 108-112 (I have a handy little spoon with a temp gauge on it) then I add the starter.

So maybe the initial heating isn't hot enough? I have made this with lowfat milk, too, it always turns out. That seems to be the biggest difference.

sfmiller September 3, 2014
So it's setting a little, but the yogurt is soft and watery? Could be any number of things, but if you put the starter in while the milk is still at 120 F, that's the upper end of what the bacteria can tolerate. If your thermometer reads low, you might be killing off part of the culture. Try letting the milk drop to 115 or 110 F before adding the starter.

Also, if the temperature drops too low soon after adding the starter you won't get a good set. What are you doing to maintain the temperature once you've added the culture?

Or your starter may be weak.

There was an interesting article about DIY yogurt in the Washington Post a few weeks ago, featuring fermentation guru Sandor Katz, which deals in part with troubleshooting homemade yogurt.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/2014/08/04/65357e8a-1778-11e4-85b6-c1451e622637_story.html