What should I serve with Romesco sauce for a vegetarian dinner?

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

asked almost 4 years ago

The first thing that pops into my head is grilled or broiled eggplant. Or perhaps cauliflower - either veg can be sliced into "steaks", and topped with the romesco would be delish ...

I love oven baked zucchini spears coated with panko, bread crumbs and parm served with Romesco. I seriously could eat a mountain of it and sometimes do..while watching a terrible Lifetime movie. :0)

There is a super easy, tasty looking Guatemalan tamale with Romesco sauce floating around. I haven't made it, but it's on my bucket list. I think it's on Chow.com.

Susan W, those zucchini spears sound terrific. Is your recipe here on food52?

Chef June, I've been making it forever and really don't remember where I got it. You know how that is. I don't think I made it up. Could be from The Greens? Let me find my scribbled recipe and I'll come back.

Found it. It came from my mom's best friend Nancy back in the 80's. :)
3 largish zuc - about 1.5 lbs, breadcrumbs and panko to make 1.5 cups, .25 cup parm, salt, pepper, cayenne (optional) to taste, 2 eggs beaten. Mix crumbs, panko, cheese and spices. Dip zuc spears in egg and roll in crumbs. Bake on wire rack at 400° for 25 min. Serve with spicy aioli or Romesco.

I agree with roasted/grilled eggplant and any vegetables for the sauce. Also, omelets, bulgur, seitan and fish. Farro would be nice, too.

I love Romesco. In Spain Romesco it's often served with grilled green onions/scallions - just drizzle them with olive oil and give them a little char. Delicious combination. Also, I think they go well with most grilled veg's - zucchini, bell peppers, eggplant, thick slices of sweet onions, etc.

Sarah Smith

This recipe from The Kitchn looks interesting: http://www.thekitchn.com...

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

I've been served Spanish tortilla with a little dollop of romesco, and that was great.
In a similar vein, I think oven fries or roasted potatoes of any kind would taste great with romesco.

ChezHenry

I agree-Patatas Bravas, the great Spanish potatoes tapa, is served here in NYC's Boqueria over Romesco Sauce. They then drizzle Aoli over the top of the potatoes to truly gild the lily.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I think it would be yummy on an omelette, too.

zarifisk

Grilled asparagus, a great starter/snack w. romesco.

jpavlick

Roasted kohlrabi if you want to go for something a little more exotic. Or if you got kohlrabi in a CSA box and have no idea what to do with it