Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

I have two butterflied pork tenderloin chops. I am wondering how best to cook them (bake in oven vs skillet) in order to not dry them out? Any recommendations on heat and time?

asked by WoooPigSooie! almost 6 years ago
397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

I would bake in the oven at a high temp, like 425. But I'd also brine them first. If you're making them tonight, start the brine now! Here's a good brining recipe: http://nyti.ms/eU99Q6

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Anytime I hear pork chop (especially thick pork chop) I first think of braising them stove top in a covered skillet. Liquid could be a combination of broth and wine with herbs which complement pork, such as rosemary or thyme. As they are already butterflied you could even add a stuffing. This method will keep them from drying out. Cooking time depends on thickness and weight.

Wow, that brought back a memory of a stuffed pork chop that I made eons ago. It was a recipe from a card that was part of one of those, "We'll send you a packet of cards every month and you'll send us money." clubs. As I remember, that recipe was one of the only recipes I felt was worthwhile in the whole series, but boy, was it good. The stuffing and the glaze were orange based. Try bread cubes, onion, celery, herbs, orange rind, orange juice, salt and pepper, maybe some apple. Since you said pork tenderloin, I imagine that the chops are boneless. You could pound them, making them flatter, put the stuffing on and then roll them up. I would brown them in a cast iron and then throw them in the oven. I would go low and slow. Pork tenderloin can dry out so easily, At the end of the cooking time (I would use a thermometer to check for doneness.) you could brush on a glaze. Make a mixture of orange juice, orange marmalade, some brown sugar, and I seem to remember some cider vinegar. The original recipe called for huge rib chops with a pocket cut into them. It was hard getting them to stand up, bone-side down throughout the cooking time. I like the thought of butterflying a loin or tenderloin, and then stuffing it. A new recipe may be born. Thanks for the reminder.

Another coinky-dink. I was just browsing through Melissa Clark's book (looking for something else) and bumped into a similar recipe with the same idea in mind. She does add one of my favorite secret ingedients to the braise; chopped anchovies! Ahoy! But same concept except that she starts it stove top and then finishes in the oven.
But to Bella SF, I can think of no good reason for the chops to stand up and salute, bone side down. It's a braise.

The original recipe had you stand the chops up and roast them in the oven. I would think that their goal was to have them golden all over. We are talking about a recipe from the mid - late 70's. We cook so differently now. I don't cook certain cuts of pork past medium. (I'm not talking braises, smoking, etc, but a chop or a tenderloin.) I would like to recreate the flavors of those orange-glazed chops, but not through the same cooking method.