Macaroni and Cheese help

I love to make mac and cheese at home, but every time I do it on the stove top, it comes out sticky but not creamy. I tried varying quantities, but it hasn't helped fix the problem. I am now trying to recreate one type that I had at a restaurant recently. It had four cheeses and was cooked in the oven in a mini-skillet at the end of the recipe with a little extra cheese and bread crumbs on top. Can anyone suggest a recipe (doesn't have to be four cheese) or a solution to the stickiness problem? Thank you!

• Posted by: Sjcorcor
  • September 8, 2014

Monita September 8, 2014

I really like this recipe from Martha Stewart Living that incorporates butternut squash into a traditional mac and cheese recipe
http://www.marthastewart...

Voted the Best Reply!

amysarah September 8, 2014

When you say 'sticky but not creamy' I wonder - are you making a bechamel base (creamy white sauce,) then stirring/melting the cheese into that, followed by the semi cooked macaroni, or just adding the cheese directly to the noodles? That could be it. I usually do it on the stove top, with a bechamel base and various combinations of cheeses, then transfer to the oven in a gratin dish - often with buttered crumbs on top. I use more sauce than seems necessary, as some absorbs into the pasta as it finishes in the oven. Creamy, not sticky that way.

mt gal
mt gal September 8, 2014

Check out the recipe on Penandfork.com for the Mac and Cheese from Robert Redford's Zoom restaurant

Pegeen September 8, 2014

I second Amysarah's tip, to make a bechamel first. Along with the recipe Monita recommends, here's another classic from Martha Stewart but without the squash: https://food52.com/recipes...