Substituting Dried Buttermilk for Real Buttermilk

The "Old-fashioned 100 Percent Whole-Wheat Bread" recipe in Beth Hensperger's The Bread Bible calls for 3 cups of warm water and 1 cup dried buttermilk to create the sponge. (Other ingredients in the sponge include 3 cups whole wheat flour.) The sponge rests for about an hour before the remaining ingredients are added in.

Does anyone have any advice for substituting the dried buttermilk for real buttermilk? I understand from Googling that dried buttermilk is reconstituted 4 parts water to 1 part dried buttermilk, but I'm not sure how reverse engineering the volumes for this recipe might work given the wet and dry ratios for the sponge.

I also have nonfat dried milk powder on hand. You can view the full recipe through Google Books.

Thanks!

Liza's Kitchen NYC
Liza's Kitchen NYC September 23, 2014

If you wanted to take the east way out - you could do a cup of the dry non-fat and a TB of lemon juice.

It'll take me a minute to do the math on the real buttermilk - but the answer, in short, is that you want to end up with the same amount of liquid. (Not easy to answer on the app, can't see the question and type the answer at the same time).

passifloraedulis
passifloraedulis September 24, 2014

Thanks--if anyone's worked with dried buttermilk before, I'm curious whether 1 cup dried buttermilk +3 cups water = 1 cup buttermilk or 3 cups buttermilk!

Sam1148 September 23, 2014

What ever the package says. But when they say store it in the freezer after opening they aren't kidding. That stuff bricks up pretty quick.