Milk + yogurt = fake buttermilk for Ranch dressing?

I want to make ranch dressing and the recipe calls for buttermilk, but I don't have any on hand. Would it be best to create fake buttermilk by adding lemon juice/vinegar to some some milk, or would it be better to combine plain whole milk yogurt with regular milk? I need about 1 3/4 cups. Ideas, foodpicklers?

asked by mtrelaun about 7 years ago

Sour cream would be closer and thin with the milk/lemon juice.

LornaFarris

I've had success adding lemon juice or vinegar to milk to make "fake" buttermilk. Let it sit for a little while and it will thicken up!

Panfusine

Buttermilk IS pretty much yogurt whipped up with water to remove the butter, take the butter out from the equation & you're left with yogurt & water.. Just beat them together like you'd try to whip a lassi .. leave it out for a couple of hours to sour. It is real buttermilk, minus the extra added milk solids carrageenan , kosher gelatin etc... If you really want the fake stuff.. Go buy a carton from the local grocery!

mtrelaun

Thanks for your help, everyone!