A question about a recipe: Caroline J. Beck's 6-Minute Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Custard

I have a question about the recipe "Caroline J. Beck's 6-Minute Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Custard" from Genius Recipes. Do you think this could be made with honey in place of sugar?

Kristen Miglore September 23, 2014

I haven't tried this myself, but I think it's definitely worth a try -- you may just need to adjust the consistency at the end by adding more olive oil, lemon juice, or water.

Susan W September 23, 2014

Chef Google says to sub for one cup sugar, reduce honey by 2 TBS (honey is sweeter), add 1/4 tsp baking soda (it doesn't say why) and reduce other liquid by 3 TBS because honey is more liquid, but in a curd, that part is probably something you can play with.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten November 23, 2016

Honey is somewhat acidic, so the baking soda must be to neutralize it. Acidity would of course not be a problem in a lemon curd, but could affect the texture of some baked goods, although in my experience usually for the better.

Catherine Regina Cheng
Catherine Regina Cheng November 23, 2016

I have tried this with honey only and it works just fine. I will say that I did cook it on the stovetop though until it thickened so not sure how it's like in a blender. Also it took longer on the double boiler than when I just used regular sugar.