A question about a recipe: Caroline J. Beck's 6-Minute Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Custard

89f7fd8f 1207 44e6 a9ad ddb09767803b  food52 03 12 13 4518

I have a question about the recipe "Caroline J. Beck's 6-Minute Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Custard" from Genius Recipes. Do you think this could be made with honey in place of sugar?

asked by Dustimily almost 4 years ago

I haven't tried this myself, but I think it's definitely worth a try -- you may just need to adjust the consistency at the end by adding more olive oil, lemon juice, or water.

Chef Google says to sub for one cup sugar, reduce honey by 2 TBS (honey is sweeter), add 1/4 tsp baking soda (it doesn't say why) and reduce other liquid by 3 TBS because honey is more liquid, but in a curd, that part is probably something you can play with.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Honey is somewhat acidic, so the baking soda must be to neutralize it. Acidity would of course not be a problem in a lemon curd, but could affect the texture of some baked goods, although in my experience usually for the better.

Catherine Regina Cheng

I have tried this with honey only and it works just fine. I will say that I did cook it on the stovetop though until it thickened so not sure how it's like in a blender. Also it took longer on the double boiler than when I just used regular sugar.