6-Minute Meyer Lemon Custard

The note for this recipe (http://food52.com/recipes...) says this was made with a blender that heats the contents. The recipe writer hasn't responded to an earlier comment, so I'm not sure she's being notified of questions; as a result, I'm posting my question here. For those without a blender, the recipe says we have to cook the custard. Does that mean those with a blender that does *not* have a heating function should also cook the custard to make sure the eggs are fully cooked?

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Cade

I made this. I don't have a fancy blender. I blended all the ingredients in my cheapo blender and then transferred it to the double boiler on my stove and cooked it to 160. Worth it - it was delicious.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Thanks, Cade. I'm going to make it, too, but I just wondered if it could be made with a stick blender, too. I guess I'll get the old double boiler out!

Stephanie Bourgeois
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

I actually tried it with an immersion blender and it worked very well. I blended with my immersion blender and then transferred to a double boiler and cooked to 160.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

That answers my question, then, Stephanie, but I think it should be made clearer in the recipe that if you don't use a blender with a heating element, you must cook the custard to make it safe.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Just made this. Oh. My. Goodness. It's just out of this world!

Diana, I'm so glad you liked the custard! I'd love to know where you think the recipe is unclear -- I want to make sure it's not confusing for others.