Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Breaking the fast on Yom Kippur

This is my first year on my own for Yom Kippur. My family usually has bagels + lox for break fast, but I'm curious to hear what other peoples' traditions are so that I can start my own! What's best to make in terms of preparing ahead of time (and not thinking about cooking all day during the fast)?

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

asked about 2 years ago

I don't fast myself, but go to my parents every year to set up the food for them & their friends to break their fast with. There's bagels and assorted spreads, plus either lox or a poached salmon, roasted veggies and this yummy casserole like thing of mashed potatoes, parsnips and broccoli. Don't think there's an exact recipe for the casserole but basically you cook all the veggies and mash together with a ton of olive oil and any seasonings you see fit then bake it until it gets kinda crispy on top. I may not be doing it justice in my description, but it's really good and always a big hit. All these foods keep well if cooked a couple days ahead of time and can just be set out for everyone to dig into.

5861b4ad 965e 4a67 9c9c 76c273534f33  img 0001

In our Ashkenazi family’s tradition the meal that breaks the fast always starts with a light lemony Sponge cake and a cup of tea. Then a few light appetizers, such as good smoked salmon, a couple salads, whole roasted fish with all kind of vegetables, a platter with chicken galantine or homemade beef pastrami and of course a Golden chicken soup with homemade mandlen.
L’ Shanah Tovah!

When my Grandma was alive, breaking the fast ALWAYS started with chicken soup and her yummy kreplach (that she had made ahead). That was followed by a big platter of smoked fish, cream cheese, rye bread and bagels.

Sometimes I make kreplach ahead. This year probably just matzoh balls to go in the soup. Then a salad and lokshen kugel because it's so good and so rich.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

We have bagels, lox and cream cheese, or creme fraiche, sweet mild onion and tomato, hot tea and orange juice. Sometimes a little cut-up melon. We never entertain for that meal; it's not really necessary since the fast ends so late, so it's just for the family. I'm pretty crabby by then anyway, and we all have work to catch up on after the holiday officially ends.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

last year, in addition to bagels and smoked fish, I served hilarybee's kale and quinoa crustless quiche (https://food52.com/recipes...) which you can make ahead and serve room temperature or reheat in microwave. I also made the za'atar spiced beet dip from Jerusalem. Sliced cucumber, onion and tomato as well. I might have also had a green salad or maybe even the spinach, date and almond salad but I cant remember!!

Since challah with honey is traditional at this time of year, you could possibly bake or buy and freeze in advance a gorgeous challah and slice and serve with either a local wild honey, or with silan (middle-eastern date jam)--the latter goes well drizzled over certain types of cheese. Bowls of herbed olives. Or, a rich noodle kugel would be nice.

In addition to all the good ideas here, I would select indulgent breakfast foods (lovely cinnamon rolls, blintzes aka filled crepes) and small portion foods (tapas or mezze) as people often serve and eat as a buffet, as their appetite and stomach come back to full strength.

F3fdbabe d72e 44f9 919d eecf03b7e10e  liza skitchenlogo

Break-fast is typically a dairy meal, so we often do fish platters, bagels, blintzes, egg souffles, noodle kugel, salads, etc. Basically everything can be made ahead of time, although I typically do the egg souffles last minute. If you like to add veggies to them, you can chop ahead of time. I'm doing dessert this year and I've gotten requests for caramel filled brownies, apple pies, meringues, challot, and 2 birthday cakes. I've certainly got my work cut out for me ;-)

Growing up on Long Island, we used to run out to Carvel the minute the fast was over and grab a bunch of Carvel Sunday's. I now live abroad, and I still crave Carvel's. Luckily we have Ben'n'Jerry's and that does the trick