🔕 🔔

OK to bring vanilla beans back from Madagascar?

I'm headed to Madagascar Tuesday and wondering if any of you know if there is likely to be a problem bringing back vanilla beans? I can't find anything on Agriculture's website and Googling hasn't turned up any advice, so I'm turning to you well-traveled foodies for help in case any of you have done this! Thanks.

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

asked about 3 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

When I bring spices and beans back from all my travels, I declare them. Never had a problem, always allowed in so far. But do declare them just in case there is some law change somewhere.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I've brought vanilla back from Madagascar without problem. Hope it works for you.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

I've brought in spices including Vanilla. As long as it isn't anything that will germinate, you should be OK.