Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

I have some lean diced steak, onions, carrots, swede and parsnips how should I cook them together?

asked by @grandetoro1949 about 2 years ago
Dcaf56be 4ef6 4780 84d1 1e354adf4ff9  stringio

Sounds like a delicious stew to me! Fry the onions till soft then sear the steak in the same pan. Chop the veg and put it all in a roasting dish covered with beef stock or red wine. Bake for an hour or 2. If your dish has a small base and there isn't much liquid you may want to cover with a lid or foil for the first half hour to an hour. Any leftovers you can blend into soup :)

Make a hash by frying everything (cube all the vegetables too) in a little oil and cook until the vegetables are golden brown. You can also use butter for extra richness. Season with salt and pepper and/or some fresh herbs. Top with fried or poached eggs. Serve with some salsa or a little ketchup. This makes one fantastic brunch dish or a very hearty breakfast or dinner.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I dice the root vegetables and toss with a bit (1 Tbspn) tomato paste and roast separate from the meat. The tomato paste helps the veg caramelize nicely. Since they take longer to cook (350F), you can then do the meat at the last minute so it does not overcook and simply scatter on top of the veg for service.

69d2403d 88f4 4b72 b0b9 84a21f4d0561  img 1445

I am not a fan of parsnips nor swede, so when I need to get through them after receiving them in my CSA box, I make a stir-fry with a nice garlic and ginger stir-fry sauce to cover the offending vegetables.

Start by making the stir-fry sauce (1/2 c chicken stock, 3 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp cooking wine (optional), 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp rice vinegar, 1 tbsp sesame oil, lots of grated ginger and garlic, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, and 1 tsp corn starch whisked in cold water; whisk all of this together and heat over medium heat. Once it heats up and starts to thicken, turn the heat down to low). In a wok or large sauté pan, quickly fry your meat until just cooked. Remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, cook your onions until just starting to color, then add the chopped swede and cook for another minute. Add your chopped parsnips and carrots and cook for another minutes. Add the meat and the stir-fry sauce, cook to re-heat the meat, and serve over rice.