🔕 🔔

Best way to freeze stewed tomatoes? In canning jars or plastic containers?

I don't have a pressure canner so I'm going to have to freeze the tomatoes I prepared. I've made approximately 12 to 14 quarts of stewed tomatoes. I have a lot of 8 oz ball canning jars and pint size that are the smaller lid size. I also have a lot of plastic containers too. Which is best for freezing?

asked by tiffanylee almost 3 years ago

It really is up to you, but when I have a choice, I choose glass over plastic. I say that, but I fire roasted 20 lbs of tomatoes a d made ratatouille and marinara and froze everything flat in zip loc bags because I have a tiny apt freezer.

7be9269b 4bd3 4776 a58a 1796fcfd4f04  2016 03 22 12 44 46

Plastic containers sometimes get discoloured from tomatoes, so if you want to reuse them later and this is a concern, you might want to use jars or, as Susan suggested, ziplock bags instead.
Also: here I thought that tomatoes being quite acidic were one of the things, that—even according to u.s. food safety regulations—were ok to can with the normal water bath method. Or did you stew a lot of vegetables/meat along with them ?

F262fda4 9e06 470b b32d ccbedd06f933  fb avatar

I cooked the tomatoes with green pepper onion garlic , and some with onion fresh basil garlic red pepper , and some plain . I let it cool to room temp then refrigerated it as it was getting too late to finish. Can I water bath the tomatoes after refrigeration ?