Best way to freeze stewed tomatoes? In canning jars or plastic containers?

I don't have a pressure canner so I'm going to have to freeze the tomatoes I prepared. I've made approximately 12 to 14 quarts of stewed tomatoes. I have a lot of 8 oz ball canning jars and pint size that are the smaller lid size. I also have a lot of plastic containers too. Which is best for freezing?

Susan W October 14, 2014

It really is up to you, but when I have a choice, I choose glass over plastic. I say that, but I fire roasted 20 lbs of tomatoes a d made ratatouille and marinara and froze everything flat in zip loc bags because I have a tiny apt freezer.

lem monade
lem monade October 14, 2014

Plastic containers sometimes get discoloured from tomatoes, so if you want to reuse them later and this is a concern, you might want to use jars or, as Susan suggested, ziplock bags instead.
Also: here I thought that tomatoes being quite acidic were one of the things, that—even according to u.s. food safety regulations—were ok to can with the normal water bath method. Or did you stew a lot of vegetables/meat along with them ?

tiffanylee
tiffanylee October 14, 2014

I cooked the tomatoes with green pepper onion garlic , and some with onion fresh basil garlic red pepper , and some plain . I let it cool to room temp then refrigerated it as it was getting too late to finish. Can I water bath the tomatoes after refrigeration ?

Voted the Best Reply!

Cav
Cav October 14, 2014

I vote for the Ziplock solution. Being able to freeze things flat(ish) can be really useful when organising a freezer. Fill the ziplocks with portioned amounts, lay flat on a sheet pan and place in freezer to freeze. When frozen, remove from sheet pan and file in freezer.

tiffanylee
tiffanylee October 14, 2014

Thank you. This worked really well.