Baking a kugelhopf in a round cake pan

Any problems with this besides longer baking time and too much dough? I want to make two round sweet yeasted cakes. Any advice and suggestions appreciated!

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

asked almost 4 years ago

jamcook

You might want to put foil collars around the pans to support a higher rise.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Very good point!

Do you have some large, round pastry tips that you could hold in place in the center as you scrape in the dough? Dense doughs such as Kugelhopf greatly benefit from a central passage for heat.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Wow, that's a great tip. Is there anything other than large pastry tip that might work?

jamcook

Sarah: A small heat proof duralex or Pyrex glass or custard cup could work to make a center hole. However, as I assume you do a lot of baking , there are cake pans with interchangeable bottoms, flat or tubed . I have a 9 inch springform like this which comes in very handy. By the time you put collars on your pans, and something in the center, it will start to get kind of fiddly. Over the years I have collected pans as I needed them for specific baking projects ( I even have a Kugelhopf pan , which I Love!) maybe this is the time to invest in exactly what you need.. You'll have the pans forever.

jamcook

Hi Sarah ..just wondering. What you finally did with your cakes, and how they came out ?