🔕 🔔

Baking a kugelhopf in a round cake pan

Any problems with this besides longer baking time and too much dough? I want to make two round sweet yeasted cakes. Any advice and suggestions appreciated!

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

asked about 3 years ago

820467dc d1b2 4071 ae7b d918a3648548  image

You might want to put foil collars around the pans to support a higher rise.

Bb305185 6b66 45c6 ac96 6204c9dd8a30  dsc09796
Sarah Jampel

Very good point!

Do you have some large, round pastry tips that you could hold in place in the center as you scrape in the dough? Dense doughs such as Kugelhopf greatly benefit from a central passage for heat.

Sarah Jampel

Wow, that's a great tip. Is there anything other than large pastry tip that might work?

Sarah: A small heat proof duralex or Pyrex glass or custard cup could work to make a center hole. However, as I assume you do a lot of baking , there are cake pans with interchangeable bottoms, flat or tubed . I have a 9 inch springform like this which comes in very handy. By the time you put collars on your pans, and something in the center, it will start to get kind of fiddly. Over the years I have collected pans as I needed them for specific baking projects ( I even have a Kugelhopf pan , which I Love!) maybe this is the time to invest in exactly what you need.. You'll have the pans forever.

Hi Sarah ..just wondering. What you finally did with your cakes, and how they came out ?