Purpose of a bundt--just pretty?

Hi All, I don't have a bundt pan but I found a recipe I'd like to make today (it's my birthday). I have 8-inch round pans and a 10-inch cast iron (and various rectangular pans). Ideally, I'm making two layers...so is that bundt pan necessary for a cake's success? It's a butter cake, not a chiffon...I'm thinking two 8-inch rounds and reduce the time to bake.

Maedl June 14, 2012

If a recipe calls for a bundt pan, I would use that form. I think the pan's shape exposes more of the cake's surface to the metal pan and affects the browning and baking time. The tube in the center also affects the baking time. If you want a birthday cake, I would bake a recipe that calls for two 8-inch pans.

jmburns
jmburns June 14, 2012

The bunt pan exposes a lot of surface area. You could make the cake in a sq or round pans just adjust your cooking times. It should not be a problem.

ChefJune June 14, 2012

It all depends upon the recipe. Many bundt cake recipes are actually pound cakes, which do not do well in layer cake pans. If you don't want to use a bundt or other 10-inch tube pan, two 9 x 5 loaf pans are the best substitution.

petitbleu
petitbleu June 14, 2012

I second ChefJune's opinion. I have baked bundt cakes in loaf pans with great success.

Raquelita
Raquelita June 14, 2012

I decided, based on some cross-referencing, to cut down on some of the flour and baking powder, to result in a less airy, crust-needing cake. We'll see, thanks for the tips!