Cake Pan - 9x13 instead of 2 9" rounds

I am planning to make sbebrangos outstanding tender yellow cake - I want to bake in it a 9x13 rather than two 9" rounds - amd I don't do math. Will this work? Is that a greater or smaller volume?

Monita April 2, 2013

a 9x2" round cake pan holds 8 cups, so a recipe for two pans is assuming there's room for 16 cups. A 9x13x2 baking pan holds 15 cups. So it may be a tight exchange but will probably work. Just make sure the batter isn;t to the very edge of the 9x13 pan

sdebrango April 2, 2013

I made it in my 9x13 once, I ended making two jumbo cupcakes also so the pan wasn't too full. It works great!

sdebrango April 2, 2013

sdebrango April 2, 2013

Thanks Abbie for making my cake, I hope you like it! I just made it for Easter.

Maedl April 2, 2013

For those of us who are math-challenged, the Joy of Cooking has a chart that provides the volume of various sizes of cake pans. I put a bookmark on that page in my Joy because I refer to it so often.

Bevi
Bevi April 2, 2013

For good measure, you could make a foil collar to attach around the lip of the pan just in case.

sdebrango April 2, 2013

Excellent idea, I never thought of a foil collar when I made it in my 9x13.