🔕 🔔

Help! Left frozen jalapeño poppers out of freezer overnight, will they still be good to eat 10 hours later?

I forgot a bag when putting away groceries!

asked by Kim Rushin about 3 years ago

ktr

I'm not sure what the official food safety answer would be but I would eat them.

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

10 hours is a long time, even for processed food that I'm sure has ample preservatives. I don't think it's worth the risk - toss them.

Eating something that can make you or your loved ones ill is not advisable. This has stayed far too long in the Danger Zone to be safe to eat. Would you pay $3 for a lottery ticket whose prize was a day of stomach ache, diarrhea and vomiting? You made a mistake, you ruined some food, you lost a few bucks. That happens. Dont compound it with risky behavior-your gut told you to ask the question, and proper food safety science proves out that this food is unacceptable to eat.
I guess the issue here is that you might not get sick, and persons will say "ive done something similar, and didnt get sick", but thats just russian roulette. The other point I hear is "I dont want to waste money". If you dropped this by mistake as you walked onto your patio into some mud, would you eat it then?
The logic baffles me. Many times when people have stomach issues its based on poor food handling. I wish Food52 would educate more on this important topic, especially as so many arm chair food experts calmly profess "Go ahead, taste it, eat it" when these questions arise.