🔕 🔔

Help! Need a vegetable/salad side to cut through the heaviness of the rest of my dinner party menu - any suggestions?

The menu so far is:

Vinegar-braised chicken with leeks and peas (creme fraiche/butter sauce)
Warm Butternut squash and chickpea tahini salad

I was going to do a tomato/chorizo salad tossed with a garlic sherry vinaigrette but tomatoes are terrible here and no chorizo to be found. Suggestions for a bracing refreshing salad/side would be very welcome!

asked by hchambers86 about 3 years ago

My recommendation is a pear and blue cheese salad like this one,
http://www.foodnetwork...

My favorite salad and I don't play favorites very often.

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

Two recommendations that could offset the richness of your delicious-sounding menu:

April Bloomfield's Carrot, Avocado and Orange Salad is lovely with vibrant, fresh flavors. I have also made this subbing parsley for cilantro: https://food52.com/recipes...

Or for a totally different dish, I think that Queen Sashy's Spice Merchant Cauliflower Couscous would be a delicious accompaniment to the chicken and the chickpea/squash salad: https://food52.com/recipes...

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

This may be consider lowbrow by some but would you consider a wedge? Crisp iceburg, with some alved cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion that has been soaked in water and patted dry, maybe a smattering of blue cheese and bacon crumbles, toasted nuts, and then just a reduced balsamic drizzle. You can assemble in advance and store them in the fridge - cold and crunchy to balance a lot of warm and rich stuff.
We like them anyhow ....

Make a cool refreshing salad of sliced or chunk-cut cucumbers, a melon if you can find a ripe one (or pineapple), spiked with some onion, garlic, cilantro, then light (or no) vinaigrette.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Not to be boring, but since you're already serving butter/cream sauce and a salad with a rich tahini dressing, I wouldn't add another rich, complex flavor, or cheese, etc. I'd probably just do some wild rice to soak up all those sauces. If you want another salad, just a simple one to cut the richness (e.g., butter lettuce w/ sherry vinaigrette - scatter some toasted sliced almonds if you want to gussy it up.) Otherwise perhaps spinach sauteed with garlic.

Forgot - if you want to do a more complex salad with chorizo, cheese or whatnot, I'd think about serving it as a first course. Let your lovely chicken dish shine! (And we really need an edit button!)

or Sara's collards!

https://food52.com/recipes...

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

This lemon-caper-mustard salad dressing from April Bloomfield is the very definition of bracing:
https://food52.com/blog...
Simply tossed with some good crisp lettuce it's tart, pungent, and a great contrast to rich and sweet foods. The suggested addition of a little bit of something fatty to the salad is nice but not necessary, particularly if your other dishes are rich. As a mostly vegetarian, I often go with a little bit of avocado.

A simple green salad with vinaigrette. You could also do a salad of thinly sliced beets with goat cheese.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I've been really happy with making side Mexican fruit salad.
And since you mention Chorizo...it might pare well.

Just take this as a sketch:
Watermelon, Mandarine Orange Slices, Cucumber cubes, Cherry Tomato, Red Onion, Jicama cut into sticks. Green Chile pepper.

Okay...there's a lot of different fruits and veggies in that mix. Add Cilantro roots chopped (or parsley of you have a dinner party with cilantro haters).

Now, for a addition add Feta Cheese..or Mexican crumbly cheese.
And for a dressing...lime juice/olive oil/oregano/garlic..cumin, a bit of salt and really good crunchy salt on the surface to finish.