messed up deglazing

hi. i'm an idiot and mixed together the white wine i was going to use to deglaze, with the mustard i wanted to add after it boiled down. is it still going to work or is it a waste of time to try it?

asked by kitkat over 3 years ago

To quote Clint Eastwood, do you feel lucky? (kidding) I think I'd deglaze with a little white wine, and just add that to the mixture of white wine and mustard.

If it's any consolation, I did the same thing just today. I have learned I love a little Dijon in my beef stew. I don't know what my brain was doing, but I mixed it right into my deglazing liquid. I decided to deglaze with a little extra wine, then I added my "concoction". I may remove the meat and veggies when everything is ready and let the liquid reduce for a couple of minutes if it's too liquidy. It smells and tastes delicious right now though.

kitkat

thanks all! i was of course out of white wine, so i just poured the whole mixture into the pan. i think it took longer to reduce than it might have otherwise, but over medium-low heat with constant stirring, it didn't break at all. came out great!

Mine didn't break either. It's delicious and smooth as can be.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

It just occurred to me while reading this that mustard helps to stabilize emulsification in cold applications such as vinaigrettes, so perhaps it maintains this ability to an extent under heat as well? I really have no idea what the science is behind the "mustard-helps-emulsification" thing, so I have no idea if that idea holds water (no pun intended), but I thought I'd put it out there. If anyone knows the science behind the mustard -stabilizes-emulsification-thing, I'd love to hear it!

Here's a stab at a simple explanation of emulsions:
Emulsions are an attempt to blend two things that do not dissolve in each other, one fat-soluble and one water-soluble, e.g., oil and vinegar in your vinaigrette or butter and wine in a sauce. Emulsifiers, such as mustard, have complex molecules that can dissolve in both waters and fats, so they help create a more stable mixture. Heat, however, is the enemy of emulsification. With heat, the molecules in the mix move more quickly, and when like molecules bump into each other, they tend to stick together. So you get all the oil or butter sticking together and all the wine or vinegar. That's what it is for a sauce to break, and even an emulsifier can't always help you there.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Thanks, Greenstuff! I only just saw your answer now (for some reason I wasn't notified that there was another comment). Anyhow, your answer was helpful, so thanks.