A question about a recipe: Chicken and Mushrooms on Toasts

8d219b46 ebad 449b b480 06b972c27f35  chicken with mushroom sauce on toast food52

I have a question about the recipe "Chicken and Mushrooms on Toasts" from AntoniaJames. This looks like a delicious way to use some leftover roasted chicken but I wonder what you recommend as a side dish (if any)?

asked by NotTooSweet almost 4 years ago

I usually serve pan roasted Brussels sprouts in season (get the skillet hot, add some grapeseed oil, put halved Brusslies in, cut side down, sprinkle on salt, cook without touching for a few minutes, toss a bit, cover for a minute or so, toss with a teaspoon of pomegranate molasses and stoneground mustard and a splash of vinegar, test for salt, grind on pepper). Or, if they're in season, I serve string beans cooked in boiling salt water until bright green. If I don't have either of those on hand, I make a green salad with an apple or pear + nuts + a simple vinaigrette, in the fall. If you have leftover roasted butternut squash, that goes well, too! Thanks for asking (and for your kind words). I hope you try this, and enjoy it. ;o)

NotTooSweet

Bless your heart for answering so quick - at Fresh Market right now and can get pretty much any of your suggestions! Will let you know how it all turns out. I seriously love this site!

My pleasure, NotTooSweet! ;o)

I love AntoniaJames's recipes, but especially this one. (A favorite relative of mine made mushrooms on toast so I have a fondness for it.) I've made AJ's recipe several times and everyone loves it. (By the way, it's a good use for leftover Thanksgiving turkey as a sub for the chicken.)

In addition to AJ's recommendations, I'd also recommend a green salad. Along with the typical scallions, cherry tomatoes, etc., you could dress it up with walnuts or almonds, or sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, cheeses, if you like. The fact is, the Mushrooms and Chicken are the star. I've learned to double the recipe because people just want more. It's the magic of comfort food.

p.s. Instead of serving on toast, you could also serve it over rice or Dutch egg noodles (that is, short, wide egg noodles vs. spaghetti or Asian noodles).

Pegeen, you are so kind (always). You're right too about serving over noodles or rice. In fact, I received a special request for this, over wild rice, so I'll be doing that next week (but also making brown basmati rice to blend with the cooked wild rice, as wild rice doesn't soak up the sauce very well).
Also, I might mention that when my boys were young, I'd put peas in this at the very end, before serving, as the boys loved peas in any dish (and doing so made it a one-dish meal, therefore perfect for a weeknight); plus, the peas add a bit of color. ;o)

I am so excited to try this. I eat bread only once or twice a year. Once is when my friend Theresa fires up her wood burning oven in her kitchen for the season on Halloween (barring a weird fall heatwave). I have two leftover chicken breasts from dinner last night so along with the Ciabatta I will be sent home with, Saturday lunch is planned. I love the idea of a white curry. As much as I love the color of tumeric, I don't care for the taste of it. It tastes like an old copper penny to my tastebuds.

I agree about the white curry, Susan W (and am honored that you're trying my recipe). I grind up a double batch of the spice mix and keep it on my spice lazy Susan right next to the regular curry powder; I use the white blend a lot! Really nice tossed on roasted root vegetables, and sprinkled on hummus with extra freshly-ground black pepper for good measure.

(Also, another tip: add some smallish allspice berries to your black pepper grinder. You may need to pick through the whole berries, as I've found a lot of variation in size, and my grinder doesn't do well with the huge ones. I use a ratio of about 4 to 1. It will make your ground pepper taste so good! This is something Edward Behr recommended in a book he wrote about 20 years ago; I think it was called "The Artful Eater." It may have been given a new name in its later printing/edition.) ;o)

AntoniaJames, I can't believe your sons liked peas! The only thing I've found peas useful for, with children, is a frozen bag cooling down a bump on the head.