Biscotti Storage. How do you keep biscotti crunchy after baking?

I am planning on making biscotti next week. What is the best way to store biscotti is so that they don't lose their crunch. Any expert tips?

issiell
issiell October 30, 2014

Make sure they are completely cold [ cool on a rack] and place on a paper towel inside an airtight container. This is how I do mine and they stay crunchy.

Rebecca Clarizio
Rebecca Clarizio October 30, 2014

Thanks for the tip!

Voted the Best Reply!

Posie (Harwood) Brien
Posie (Harwood) Brien October 30, 2014

Also, not sure of your recipe, but my mother makes biscotti the traditional Italian way (no butter, no oil, just eggs) -- without that fat, they stay incredibly crisp after the second baking (she just stores them in a glass cookie jar...regular lid, not airtight). They are also the best I've ever tasted! So I recommend trying that technique if you haven't.

Rebecca Clarizio
Rebecca Clarizio October 30, 2014

Oh that's interesting! The recipe i'm using does use oil. 1 c. for 3 c. flour. But i'll def keep this i mind as i expand my biscotti making skills.

and thanks for the glass jar info!

Triptotown
Triptotown October 30, 2014

Ok thank you but now, I need your Moms recipe!! Please!! Please share

Posie (Harwood) Brien
Posie (Harwood) Brien October 30, 2014

Oh of course here is the recipe! The trick is to REALLY beat the eggs for a long time -- minimum 5 minutes but you can go up to 10. They should double in volume and get very pale and form thick ribbons: https://food52.com/recipes...

Triptotown
Triptotown October 30, 2014

Thanks for the recipe Posie! I plan to bake tomorrow

ChezHenry
ChezHenry October 30, 2014

My best success has been with a metal biscuit tin.

Rebecca Clarizio
Rebecca Clarizio October 30, 2014

Oh I think i may have a tin lying around! Thanks for your input!

bigpan
bigpan October 30, 2014

Biscotti = "double baked" which is dry when cooled. Then as suggested an air lock container. I use an ordinary ziplock plastic box container and they are fine for a few months at least...but they never last that long.

Nancy October 31, 2014

Glass or metal container at room temp (as noted) but/and also great frozen and defrosted as you need them.

ChezHenry
ChezHenry November 3, 2014

Remember you can always triple bake them(would that make them triscotti?). Cookies and biscotti can always be crisped up in a 250 oven. Having grown up in a tropical environment, its a trick used by home island cooks, my mom would even crisp up cereal in this manner.

Nancy November 3, 2014

I think that would be Triscuit.

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon November 4, 2014

What the container is made of makes a really big difference. Glass or metal is best, and I always line with parchment paper, or another food-grade paper like butcher or wax. For professional cooks - clear lexans and cambros are better than opaque plastic. My home oven despises being on any temp lower than 300, so you could always heat up your oven to 300, stick the biscotti in, and shut off the oven. My last hint has really helped my bakers - stand up the sliced biscotti so the exposed/cut sides are fully exposed to the hot air re-baking / drying them. This is especially helpful if you have dried fruit in your cookies - you want them to spend the least amount of time drying more because they tend to get crunchy-chewy which is not always nice for teeth...

I SO agree about the true biscotti recipes. Like so many recipes that come to the USA from other places - we add unnecessary enrichments like butter, oil, cream etc.