Leftover Cornbread Ideas

I made wayyyy too much cornbread last night, and normally I would just freeze it for dressing but does anyone have other ideas? Something new to try?

saragrad

Hello, lucky you! My family loves leftover cornbread warmed up and spread with jam for breakfast or snacks, if it helps!

I just made a big batch of raspberry jam!!! Yum!

Especially since it’s the weekend, I’d never get past just toasting it and slathering with butter!

Lots of good stuffing recipes on this site, which you could probably freeze.

Cubed and lightly toasted in the oven, then used as a bed for roasting a chicken. Sort of a take on Zuni’s chicken and bread salad – that recipe is on this site too.

There have been some great recipes/Columns on the site lately, for roasted winter vegetables. Toss in some cubed, lightly-toasted cornbread.

Sorry! I read too quickly and didn't see that you mentioned dressing/stuffing in your post.

I like the bed for roasted chicken thought!

Thats exactly what I would do save it for dressing but I dry it and put in airtight container and keep for Thanksgiving.

I love it as a toasty buttery crouton on top of any salad.

Great idea! About to make a kale salad so I think I will make some!

Susan I toasted cubes in a little butter and tossed it into my kale - I like it so much I ate it for lunch, dinner, and lunch the next day!

missmertz

I crumble it and stir into chili as it cooks. The great thing is, you can do this even if the cornbread gets really dry, because the liquid softens it. Yum!

Oh - good one - perhaps I could stir some into my leftover pozole!!!

EmilyC

You may have already considered this, but how about this recent Genius salad? https://food52.com/recipes...

Oh yum! I have Hatch Chili Sausages frozen - doing this!

I use cornmeal in my corn pudding (https://food52.com/recipes...) - I'm thinking that you could crumble in dry cornbread instead, for a savory cornbread pudding.

klrcon

Makes an awesome breakfast strata too.

ChezHenry

Make a crumble/buckle/betty/pie topping out of it. It's already cooked through once, so I'd pre-bake a blueberry/blackberry/peach crumble for half of the normal time. Take it out of the oven, and add your cornbread crumble-basically substitute the cornmeal for the flour component, reduce the sugar if your cornbread was made with sugar, add butter and pulse away in the food processor. Jacques Pepin uses this technique even with bread.

Oh I will save this idea for next time for sure - this batch had jalapenos in it though ...

Joe Hardy

Italian bread salad with cubed toasted cornbread or cornbread salad.

lovely as a base for sauteed mushrooms. add a poached or fried egg and you have brunch.

Lynne Habig

I would freeze it; and then make cornbread crumbs when a recipe calls for them!

Lin
Lin

Split a square in two, butter each side and put them face down on a hot griddle

Mame16th

My grandmother pan-fried it and served it with gravy for breakfast. Absolutely no good for you, but delicious!