A question about a recipe: Milk Chocolate Nutmeg Tart with Hazelnut Crust

I have a question about the recipe "Milk Chocolate Nutmeg Tart with Hazelnut Crust" from fiveandspice. I'd like to try this recipe with an almond crush instead of hazenluts, and instead of whole almonds I have already ground almond meal. Any idea re: how much almond meal I should mix with the flour for this crust? (I don't have access to a kitchen scale right now, sadly)

• Posted by: sarah
  • November 14, 2014

Nancy November 14, 2014

based on weight of hazelnuts & similar weight of almonds, about 1/2 cup. start with less (say 1/4 or 1/3 cup) to make sure you're not making dough too dry to hold together. add remainder of the original 1/2 cup almonds if the dough texture/moistness looks ok

sarah
sarah November 14, 2014

Awesome, thank you so much!

AntoniaJames November 14, 2014

Well, I could give you a fish, and you'd eat tonight, or I could teach you how to fish, and you'd eat for the rest of your life. So, here's an idea. If you have a bag of almond meal purchased in the United States, look at the nutrition label. It should give you both a volume measurement and a weight measurement. Then, do the math. Hope this helps! ;o) P.S. I agree with Nancy's idea of starting out with less than that which is called for, to account for the possibility that your specific weight-volume equivalent does not correspond to the manufacturer's, due to the method you use for filling the measuring cup.

sarah
sarah November 14, 2014

Haha! Thanks, Antonia. (It won't let me reply directly to you for some reason). I definitely appreciate the "being taught how to fish" approach.