Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

vanilla extract differences

I've been buying Trader Joe's vanilla extract and the bottle says: Pure bourbon vanilla extract. What's the diif. between this and say, McCormick's pure vanilla extract, and how does it affect the taste of baked goods, etc? Thx.

asked by barb48 about 2 years ago
84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

I did a quick Google for "vanilla extract test" and came up with articles y trusted sources like Serious Eats and America's Test Kitchen - I'd suggest reading a couple of those for the expert's take. To sum up, though, it seems that in baking the differences between fancy and "normal" extract pretty much go out the window, but that in colder desserts like pudding quality matters.

Bourbon vanilla is the name for the vanilla grown in Madagascar and is supposed to have a strong and superior tastes. Likely the supermarket vanilla is made from cheaper beans grown elsewhere.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.