Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

vanilla extract differences

I've been buying Trader Joe's vanilla extract and the bottle says: Pure bourbon vanilla extract. What's the diif. between this and say, McCormick's pure vanilla extract, and how does it affect the taste of baked goods, etc? Thx.

asked by barb48 about 2 years ago
84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

I did a quick Google for "vanilla extract test" and came up with articles y trusted sources like Serious Eats and America's Test Kitchen - I'd suggest reading a couple of those for the expert's take. To sum up, though, it seems that in baking the differences between fancy and "normal" extract pretty much go out the window, but that in colder desserts like pudding quality matters.

Bourbon vanilla is the name for the vanilla grown in Madagascar and is supposed to have a strong and superior tastes. Likely the supermarket vanilla is made from cheaper beans grown elsewhere.