Any recommendations for a quick, easy and delicious fish entree for dinner?

I am preparing a full dinner for a family of 6. They don't eat meat, so I was thinking of cooking some fillets of fish. I am looking for something that can stay warm for a while without drying out.
Thank you so much!

Susan W November 15, 2014

Is there a reason you need to cook it ahead of time? Fish is not something that holds well. I had a personal chef business for years. I would cook 5 dinners for families. 4 meals would go in the freezer and the fresh fish dish would be prepped, but not cooked. Snapper Veracruz is a good one. Epicurious has one that looks very good.

Greenstuff November 16, 2014

Slow-cooked salmon would be a good way to go. It is very forgiving and great for when you have guests, as timing is not critical.

1 salmon fillet, with or without the skin
olive oil
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 200°. Put a pan of water on the lowest rack of the oven. This will make for a moist environment for the fish. Place the other rack above the one with the pan.

Lightly coat the salmon fillet (top and bottom) with olive oil. Place on a baking sheet. Salt and pepper to your taste.

Bake for about an hour. The exact timing is not important in the low heat, moist oven.

Let the fish rest for at least 10 minutes or longer before serving-it's as good at room temperature as it is warm.

Nancy November 16, 2014

Best thing about this master recipe is you can vary the flavors to taste or what you have on hand - so far I've done Chinese, French, Italian and Indian versions. For convenience, prep ahead. If you leave in fridge before cooking, your baking times will be longer. Steam any whitefish in a casserole. Use 1/4 lb fillet or 1/2 lb whole fish per person. Layer (starting from bottom) aromatics, fat, sour, herbs, fish. Cover tightly & cook 20 min at 325F in conventional oven, 10-15 min for whole fish in mw, or 3-8 min for fillet in mw. To complete the dinner, serve on rice, with a side salad and fresh fruit for dessert.

ChezHenry
ChezHenry November 16, 2014

Heres one of my favorite recipes : http://southern.food.com/recipe/fish-two-oclock-bayou-369170, from Paul Prudhomme. Make the sauce ahead, then add in your filets when your ready to eat.

Pegeen November 16, 2014

Depending on how young the children are, I find many of them don't like fish, but they do like shrimp. You might want to try a pasta dish that includes sauteed or steamed shrimp. It won't sit well for too long, but is fast to cook and throw together.

Pegeen November 16, 2014

You could do something like Cod or Crab cakes. Easy to make ahead and refrigerate, and takes very few minutes to roast them in the oven or frying pan. Maybe some tartar sauce on the side, a green salad full of goodies, some simple olive oil-butter-garlic pasta with a little parm.

amysarah November 16, 2014

Crab cakes are a good make ahead idea. Salmon (or another fish) en papillote could work too - you could have the packages ready and set up to pop in the oven. Cooks very quickly. Kids might enjoy unwrapping their portions - but if they're little, they'll need an assist due to the steam escaping when punctured.

Uncle Jess
Uncle Jess November 16, 2014

I like Greenstuff's slow-cooked idea. Poaching is even faster. In a pan with a lid big enough to hold your fish filets, place a few peppercorns, bay leaves, and enough white wine or fish stock to come to 1/2 inch depth. Bring to a boil, turn heat down, gently add fish, cover and cook 10 min or until fish just begins to flake. Mean while mix some yogurt and mayo (I like 4 parts yogurt to 1 mayo) to taste, add a little curry powder. Warm for a few secs on a 50% power microwave or just serve at room temp. Works great with salmon, and your done in 15-20 minutes. Makes good leftovers, too.

Uncle Jess
Uncle Jess November 16, 2014

Nancy November 16, 2014

Roasted lamb (shoulder or leg), see Boulud for one with ras el hanout. Or a lamb curry, or lamb with a romaine salad (Doug Crowell of Buttermilk Channel in Brooklyn).

Nancy November 16, 2014

Sorry - posted answer in wrong question.

Nancy November 16, 2014

Sam1148 November 16, 2014

Halibut with Chimichurri sauce. My fish hating SO loves it. The thing he objects to in fish in the high oil in skin. Salmon probably has the most 'fish' taste to fish haters.

For the Halibut. Marinade the skinless halibut in olive oil, garlic and lemon. Then salt and if the weather is nice, char grill it...if stove top.
Give it a dusting of Wondra Flour and pan fry.

For the Sauce. Use a food processor to blend up parsley, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt, and a bit of red pepper flakes.

Alternatively...look into fish baked in paper. Little heart shaped packets of parchment filled with seasoned fish, lemon slices, herbs, veggie bits and a spash of white wine, with butter. Those can be baked and keep well sealed.
But actually you can make up a tray of them and hold them--it only takes a few mins to cook them. After they're assembled all the leg work is done..just in the oven for 20 mins or so.
Those are great for people to open up at the table. I bet the kids would love opening those packages. Fill it some things other than fish too--mushrooms, yellow squash, half cherry tomatoes a few asparagus.
Heck do that and serve the chimichurri sauce on the side.

http://www.chow.com/recipes...