Porgy Fish Disaster

Hi all. I finally worked up the nerve to roast, fillet, and debone a whole fish after watching a Serious Eats video that made it look so easy.
I bought 2 1 lb porgies from Whole Foods and following the article's recipe, I stuffed them with aromatics and herbs and cooked at 350. The instructions said to cook until the fish registered 135 degrees, mine was 150 by the time I got to it.
I filleted(ish) them and got them on the plate. We took one bite and it was horrendous. The texture was an awful mushiness and tasted very fishy. My husband asked me if I wanted to order pizza.
I've never had porgy before so I'm not sure how it should be but I read it's similar to red snapper, which this definitely was not. Did I screw something up? Was it just not a fresh fish? Anything I can do to save it? TIA!

asked by GourMel about 1 year ago

lisa dowe

You can test the freshness by the texture of the fish as well as the brightness of the gills. If it is whole with the skin on it should be shiny and firm. Often when fish is not fresh it has an unpleasant odor and or sometimes slimmey and meat is not firm. Always check for freshness. Skin and fillet and the meat is smooth and firm to touch and bright in color. No odors except for the fish itself. To bake, marinate in an olive oil and seasoning. Allow the marinade to sit and then bake at 325 to 350. Bake until white but no more. Say about 20 minutes tops. I like my porgy with lots of butter, tomatoes, scallions and fresh chopped herbs and lemon juice or white wine. Or it can be bake poached in a parchment paper bag to capture moisture and flavor....very easy to do with the same flavor profile. Just wrap the marinated fish in parchment and fold over the bag to seal. It really captures all the flavor.

GourMel

Thank you all for the helpful tips! I did get a refund from Whole Foods and hopefully can avoid this from happening again.