Fridge Dinner

Since it's Monday/rainy/I'm feeling uninspired, I'm turning to the Food52 community to help me cobble together dinner from what I have in the fridge. It's like Chopped, but my fridge-style. :A handful or pulled pork, roasted white + sweet potatoes, half a bulb of celery root, a few sheets of county ham, apples, a staling rye loaf, one tomato, tomato sauce, eggs. Plus, a pretty full pantry. Help!

asked by Cristina Sciarra about 4 years ago

Kristin Axtman

A comfort food like this stuffing could work. From your list I would use your celeriac, white & sweet potatoes, country ham, apple, and rye bread. Best of luck!
http://www.foodnetwork...

Bridgette Gregory-O'Connor

Maybe a hash with the potatoes, apples and ham/pulled pork. Or hash with potatoes, tomato and egg on top.

I like that. I wonder if the celery root could come into play there...as a variation on a "Bubble and Squeak".

Tho if the potatos are all ready roasted a 'hash' would be best----what sauce do you think would work with that type of hash? Sour cream, Horseradish? The sweet potato kind of throws that off.

And then bake the apples with Cinnamon, butter and brown sugar.

I would make a pork ragu with the pulled pork and tomato/tomato sauce, then crack a few eggs and cook in the ragu for dinner. Serve on the roasted white+sweet potatoes on the side.

Marian Bull

okay, a few options:
1. an awesome sandwich
2. stuffing? bread pudding?
3. frittata?
xx

Cristina Sciarra

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! I love them all, and will keep each in mind for future kitchen sink-dinners.

I ended up making a shepherds' pie of sorts: pulled pork + ham; leftover apple-y caramelized onions; (pureed) celery root; both potatoes; a few nubs of cheese; and sautéed dark greens.

Thanks again! It's tomato sauce tonight.