Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Just did a blind bake & The sides of the crust completely slid off the lip of the pan & half way down the side of the pan

Fb707526 8f76 4819 a818 762a7af1907c  img 2976

...crust was pricked and chilled prior to baking. Pie weights were used. The middle of the crust is blown up like a balloon with the sides (in some areas) lower than the center of the pie! Followed the instructions exactly...Please help!!

asked by Clarissa Kanell about 2 years ago
8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

There's not much you can do at this point if your crust is golden brown and baked. What I have found that sometimes causes this problem is that when you put the pie weights they aren't really pressed into the bottom of the pan and son air pockets form. I'd make your pie crust again. Roll it out, prick and chill. I lay a very large piece of parchment inside the crust in the pie pan and then when I spread the weights over it, I press around the inner rim of the pan so that I eliminate any potential air pockets. You might also try baking a little bit longer in the first stage so that the crust is more set before removing the weights and finishing the blind bake.

Best tip ever, which I've never seen on this site, except in comments I've posted, is Alice Medrich's suggestion to blind bake using foil and then pricking to dock through the foil. This lets steam escape. You don't need a heavy layer of weights with this method. The technique is included in her outstanding recipe for Chocolate Pecan Pie, in "Seriously Bittersweet." I've never had anything but perfect results when I follow her instructions for this to the letter. (I'll provide more details later. I'm in the office today.) ;o)

Also, see this helpful post earlier this week for more information on blind-baking shrinkage: https://food52.com/blog...
(Erin McD should write a book. Seriously. I'm reformatting and printing all of her columns that interest me for my baking manual - best practices, insights, etc. I've picked up over the years.) ;o)

Thank you so much for your input and advice!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I think the term 'genius' gets thrown around way too easily - but that docking through foil trick really is. Definitely doing that! Also, just a note - I often brush the pastry with egg white as Erin describes, then add the spare yoke to the custard filling. A little extra richness and no waste.

I will have to give that a try..quick question - Does pricking the foil prick foil into the crust?

One of the best tricks I learned in culinary school was to blind bake the crust upside down; invert lined pie pan onto another one and bake. It's nerve racking, but it does work and you don't have to mess with pie weights and tin foil.