Just did a blind bake & The sides of the crust completely slid off the lip of the pan & half way down the side of the pan

...crust was pricked and chilled prior to baking. Pie weights were used. The middle of the crust is blown up like a balloon with the sides (in some areas) lower than the center of the pie! Followed the instructions exactly...Please help!!

Fb707526 8f76 4819 a818 762a7af1907c  img 2976

Monita November 23, 2014

There's not much you can do at this point if your crust is golden brown and baked. What I have found that sometimes causes this problem is that when you put the pie weights they aren't really pressed into the bottom of the pan and son air pockets form. I'd make your pie crust again. Roll it out, prick and chill. I lay a very large piece of parchment inside the crust in the pie pan and then when I spread the weights over it, I press around the inner rim of the pan so that I eliminate any potential air pockets. You might also try baking a little bit longer in the first stage so that the crust is more set before removing the weights and finishing the blind bake.

AntoniaJames November 23, 2014

Best tip ever, which I've never seen on this site, except in comments I've posted, is Alice Medrich's suggestion to blind bake using foil and then pricking to dock through the foil. This lets steam escape. You don't need a heavy layer of weights with this method. The technique is included in her outstanding recipe for Chocolate Pecan Pie, in "Seriously Bittersweet." I've never had anything but perfect results when I follow her instructions for this to the letter. (I'll provide more details later. I'm in the office today.) ;o)

AntoniaJames November 23, 2014

Also, see this helpful post earlier this week for more information on blind-baking shrinkage: https://food52.com/blog...
(Erin McD should write a book. Seriously. I'm reformatting and printing all of her columns that interest me for my baking manual - best practices, insights, etc. I've picked up over the years.) ;o)

Clarissa Kanell
Clarissa Kanell November 23, 2014

Thank you so much for your input and advice!

amysarah November 23, 2014

I think the term 'genius' gets thrown around way too easily - but that docking through foil trick really is. Definitely doing that! Also, just a note - I often brush the pastry with egg white as Erin describes, then add the spare yoke to the custard filling. A little extra richness and no waste.

Clarissa Kanell
Clarissa Kanell November 23, 2014

I will have to give that a try..quick question - Does pricking the foil prick foil into the crust?

spiffypaws
spiffypaws November 23, 2014

One of the best tricks I learned in culinary school was to blind bake the crust upside down; invert lined pie pan onto another one and bake. It's nerve racking, but it does work and you don't have to mess with pie weights and tin foil.