🔕 🔔

What is the best kind of vinegar to use when making a vinaigrette with roasted hazelnut oil? It's for a salad with arugula, pears, roasted carrots and a fairly mild cheese (probably Manchego). Ideas for a generic combination (i.e., what vinegar + hazelnut oil would work well with many salads) would also be appreciated. Thank you. ;o)

asked about 7 years ago

For that particular salad I'd live to have sherry vinegar, especially with that cheese added. It add a special taste. But white wine vinegar will serve you well for all purposes. Champagne vinegar would be extra special

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

White wine or champagne vinegar would be nice. Generically it depends on the greens you are using ==> Cooks Illustrated has recipes for a red wine vinaigrette for mild flavored greens, and creamy garlic for bitter greens, and a mustard balsamic for peppery greens.

34b35e7d 9f0b 412e bbb2 00e0498f86d5  2016 10 06 19 40 38

I'd definitely say Sherry vinegar with those particular ingredients. Sounds like a lovely salad! White balsamic might be another option.

I'm in the Spanish sherry vinegar camp. An older one being best.

7002ebae 186f 4382 8a5c 45cb4bd5877b  2 11 016

How about white balsamic?

8446617e 2a44 48d6 bb85 2f1dc3feb000  n768884774 851343 4507

One of my favorite recipes from Suzanne Goin is her Roasted Pear Salad with Endives, Hazelnuts and St. Agur. For the dressing she uses hazelnut oil and adds a mixture of sherry vinegar & rice vinegar. The recipe can be found online :). enjoy.

Just nothing quite like a good spanish sherry vinegar. Headed to Andalucia after xmas and plan to bring some back!

Yes indeed. I find Spanish sherry vinegar to be far superior to most of what passes as balsamic vinegar in this country (and I do own the real stuff). It will harmonize well with nut oils. In fact I may have to try AntoniaJames salad out, as I have fresh arugula on hand.