🔕 🔔

Why did my Bouchon Bakery cookbook croissants fail in epic proportions?

The poolish seemed successful. The dough looked and felt beautiful. My butter block was fine. They rose when I proofed before baking.
They were dense and terrible. What could I have possibly done wrong? Other than not being Thomas Keller, that is.

asked by weekend at bearnaise over 2 years ago
F3fdbabe d72e 44f9 919d eecf03b7e10e  liza skitchenlogo

I'm not sure what went wrong, but I thought you might enjoy this blog post: http://bookishlyboisterous...

05d07179 8ac1 49f8 83d7 a479a1a82a59  img print 5835 1

interestingly enough, that blogger's poolish looked exactly like mine until i came to my senses and kept adding water until it was the right consistency. like...as written, the poolish wasn't even remotely pancake-y. There was not nearly enough water to even begin to moisten all the flour!
Though I am fairly certain that wasn't my issue. Thanks for the read, though...glad to know I'm not alone!